Speaker Output Jack Question

Titan91

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
I have the famous Radio Shack mini amplifier:

http://www.radioshack.com/radioshack-mini-audio-amplifier/2771008.html

The description says I can connect either an external speaker or headphones to the "speaker"/"output" jack. Had anyone used headphones with this amp? As I understand this typically would normally burn up the headphones and/or damage the amp because of impedance/output voltage differences. Is this a hybrid circuit that can handle both on a single jack?

Solution
Since the output is only 200mW into 16 ohms which equates to about 100 mW into headphones there will be no problem plugging your headphones in.
The amp would mean a headphone type jack, if you tell the masses a 3.5mm plug connector they would be scratching their heads, tell them the jack on headphones and they know what you are talking about.

You could use the headphones on low power settings but it will give you zero benefit over just plugging the headphones into the source and thus bypassing the amp.

makkem

Distinguished
Hi
I doubt you would damage your headphones from such a small amp probably only 1 - 2 watt RMS and that will be into the internal 4 ohm speaker.
Even low impedance headphones are in the 30 Ohm range so will only be getting about 1/2 Watt at best .

Titan91

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
boosted1g, I'm using a mic input and there is no way I could bypass the amp. Makkem, that's what I was thinking. But I wanted to get a second opinion as I don't really understand audio theory that well.