Solved! Speaker Setup Help

May 9, 2020
Hello, complete electronics newbie here.
We have a Sony STR-DH750. Speakers are set up at the front left and right on either side of the TV along with a center speaker below the TV, a left & right rear, and left & right back speakers along with two outside patio speakers. We moved into the house 5 years ago with it set up like this but the outside speakers have never worked. After playing around with the wires I discovered that the outside speakers do work.
Is it possible to hook up the outside speakers so they are on either A or B, playing by themselves, and have the other (B or A) play everything inside? I don’t want to blast everyone inside the house when jamming to tunes outside. I realize I have 9 speakers and only 7 channels on the receiver. I’m looking for any input to help out.
Thanks!

Solution
Get the speaker selector linked to above.
Connect the front speaker outputs of the AVR to the amp input. Connect both the front l-r indoor speakers and the outdoor speakers to the selector.
When you want to use the output speakers set the receiver to 2 channel which will turn off all but the front l-r speakers. You can now select if you want just the outdoor speakers or both pairs.
Since the volume controls on the selector can only turn the level down start with the outdoor control all the way up and the indoor speakers all the way down. Adjust the AVR volume to the max you would want to play the outdoor speakers and then turn up the indoor pair to the level you want to use them. Then reset the AVR speaker levels so the 7.1 system is...
Yep it's possible, there are plenty of audio switches and mixers you can get to do this. Something like this https://www.monoprice.com/product?p...pXt6sQUl2-IRr0vPJ_JPCxoBhOqFFvfBoCfHcQAvD_BwE What you need really depends on exactly what you have, you may want to find a local A/V tech to look at things, since everything is already wired through the walls should not cost much for someone to set up a plan for you and maybe wire it up.

May 9, 2020
Gefest, I’m not sure if you mean shutdown the receiver and power it back on, or completely start from scratch and rewire the house. 😳😱
I’ve shutdown the receiver numerous times. I’m just not savvy enough to know how to hook up the speakers to the receiver to make it do what I want. I like to spend hours on my screened-in porch and like to listen to music, but I don’t want music playing and disturbing anyone that is in the house. Hence, use either A or B to have the outside speakers only, but have the remaining 7 inside speakers on the other setting (B or A).

May 9, 2020
That is the issue, unless you ordered the original work or at least have documentation of the wiring and how it was used, only thing you can do is test the connections. If they don't work, need to start tracing wires.
The good news is that all speakers work...kinda. Just not in the setup I’m hoping to achieve. Will keep researching and get a pro to look at everything. Thanks for the insight!

Connect the front speaker outputs of the AVR to the amp input. Connect both the front l-r indoor speakers and the outdoor speakers to the selector.
When you want to use the output speakers set the receiver to 2 channel which will turn off all but the front l-r speakers. You can now select if you want just the outdoor speakers or both pairs.
Since the volume controls on the selector can only turn the level down start with the outdoor control all the way up and the indoor speakers all the way down. Adjust the AVR volume to the max you would want to play the outdoor speakers and then turn up the indoor pair to the level you want to use them. Then reset the AVR speaker levels so the 7.1 system is now balanced again. This way you don't have to reset the surround system every time you want to use the system for music only.

Solution
May 9, 2020
Since the volume controls on the selector can only turn the level down start with the outdoor control all the way up and the indoor speakers all the way down. Adjust the AVR volume to the max you would want to play the outdoor speakers and then turn up the indoor pair to the level you want to use them. Then reset the AVR speaker levels so the 7.1 system is now balanced again. This way you don't have to reset the surround system every time you want to use the system for music only.
Thanks for the suggestion americanaudiophil! I will give that a try.