Speaker wire for RCA plug connection

Jim19130

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016
My surround subwoofer takes an RCA plug. The surround receiver output is also an RCA jack outlet. However, I have speaker wire running in my wall for the connection.

Can I simply attach two RCA plugs to the speaker wire and make the connection from receiver to subwoofer? I notice that RCA cables have a thinner wire than speaker wire gauge. So, for this low input connection, will speaker wire connected to RCA plugs on both ends be the right resistance, impedence?

Solution
Hey,

The RCA cables you are thinking of are not what is usually used. For the sub connection most people use shielded coax cable with RCA plugs such as this:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=2680

You do not necessarily need this type of cable, usually it's used to reduce interference. For instance mine runs along with several power cords and might pick up some unwanted hum and for $6 it wasn't a big deal to get it.

As long as you aren't picking up any interference, terminating speaker wire with RCA plugs will work just fine.

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... Typically you need a "shielded" line-Low level connections... or you pick up the 60-120 HZ when amplified, from surrounding systems... And Speaker wire is not shielded. B / it's not a resistance or impedance issue here... But immunity to noise.

1) if the SOUND is already fine through those wires then I see no reason to question interference etc. thus,

2) Solder?
Yes.

There are a few videos, but I believe THIS product (match the wire gauge, and sex of connector) is an example of what you could use:
https://www.amazon.com/IEC-Speaker-Wire-Pair-Males/dp/B003U46G8I/ref=pd_sim_23_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=31GNLqRNJRL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL320_SR320%2C320_&psc=1&refRID=JH8X1FQYQ8W55FZ83KV1

It's not my area of expertise though, especially whether you'll have impedance matching issues when soldering the wires together.

*So don't strip down an existing cable especially if it's not the same gauge. Just buy something like the above, then solder properly and sleeve

Jim19130

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016
Thanks. This is interesting. First, I would have thought speaker wire is shielded as it has plastic around each wire, doesn't it? Second, if u Google connecting RCA plug to speaker wire there are plenty of videos and sites including Monoprice that discuss this topic.

I thought maybe the gauge of the being different would affect it. In any case, I will have to get a new RCA plug adapter i used and connect it to the wire that I have in the wall. Would I have to solder it or could I splice two cut plugs/wires together to make it work?

ien2222

Distinguished
Hey,

The RCA cables you are thinking of are not what is usually used. For the sub connection most people use shielded coax cable with RCA plugs such as this:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=2680

You do not necessarily need this type of cable, usually it's used to reduce interference. For instance mine runs along with several power cords and might pick up some unwanted hum and for $6 it wasn't a big deal to get it.

As long as you aren't picking up any interference, terminating speaker wire with RCA plugs will work just fine.

Solution

Jim19130

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016
Thx. You're very helpful. I see the monoprice cable with RCA jacks but my problem (for a second subwoofer line) is that I don't think o can fish through the wire through the wall studs with the plugs on the end. I'd have to buy shielded coax, fish it through, and then attach RCA plugs to the end of the coax. Is that possible? Do u know if monoprice has such a plug that is made to solder to the wire?

I guess for now, I have the thinner shielded RCA wire in the wall. I'll just get a plus from another RCA cable and attach it somehow to this wire in the wall. Hopefully it won't buzz.