Speaker wire replacement help

Kyle Rogers

Estimable
Jan 7, 2015
Hey everyone.

I have a wired Samsung surround sound home theatre system that is about 3-4 years old. My cat recently chewed the wire that connects my center speaker to the blu ray player. My question is, can I just buy any speaker wire for a replacement or are speaker wires specific to each speaker?

Thanks for your help.

Solution
OK, so the website shows standard connections for all the speakers (except they don't show the back of the center channel...). BUT I will assume that it is the same as all the others. The BlueRay player has some kind of special connectors that plug into it for speaker connections. Can you replace the wire in those plugs or are you going to have to join wires?

The color coding on the back of the player and presumably the wires is strictly to help in ensuring you don't connect the left surround to right front, etc. Wire color will have NO EFFECT on anything other than making it a little more difficult to assemble or move.

Kyle Rogers

Estimable
Jan 7, 2015

I know about the red/black part, and sorry for not clarifying this in my post, but I am referring to the part that connects to the blu ray. Can I hook up any speaker wire that fits the blu ray player or does the wire have to be specific to the center speaker?

pauls3743

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011

Almost, speaker wire is all one colour and it's usual quite bland (beige, clear, white, grey) so it blends in with the background. One of the sides of the cable will have a thin tracer (typically black) which runs the length of the cable, this is how tell which wire is which at each end of the cable. The black tracer usually denotes the ground/negative side of the cable.

EDIT: Speaker cable is not specific to any speaker, it just needs to be heavy to carry the load and light enough to fit your connections. About the only thing that might cause problems is the cable connection to your bluray player. If you player uses a specific plug you will need to keep that and transfer it to the new cable. If it uses binding posts then you should be home and dry.

kanewolf

Judicious

Can you give us a model number? Or give us a picture of the connection on the back of the blue ray player? If it is just two bare wires, then any wire should be OK. There is definitely no difference in a traditional surround sound setup between center channel and L/R. It is possible that it could be different if the center channel has the amplifier or something in it.

Kyle Rogers

Estimable
Jan 7, 2015

HT-D5500. I am wondering if the color of the part that connects to the blu ray player has to match the color of the blu ray port. Or will any colored wire work?

kanewolf

Judicious
OK, so the website shows standard connections for all the speakers (except they don't show the back of the center channel...). BUT I will assume that it is the same as all the others. The BlueRay player has some kind of special connectors that plug into it for speaker connections. Can you replace the wire in those plugs or are you going to have to join wires?

The color coding on the back of the player and presumably the wires is strictly to help in ensuring you don't connect the left surround to right front, etc. Wire color will have NO EFFECT on anything other than making it a little more difficult to assemble or move.

Solution

Kyle Rogers

Estimable
Jan 7, 2015

Thanks for getting back to me. I actually found a replacement with the same color on ebay so I went with that. Hopefully it works. Otherwise I will bother you again haha. Thanks again so much. You've been a great help.