Solved! Speakers lower than usual after complete reset of computer

Apr 12, 2020
Just did a complete reset of my computer and the volume on my speakers and headphones are a lot lower than what they were before, all my volume sliders are maxed. I enabled Loudness Equalization and it helps just slightly but the volume is still not even close to what they were before the reset. Has anyone got any suggestions that might help? Thank you!

Solution
Interesting. What type of amplification are you using for your speakers? Do you have an aftermarket sound card or onboard audio? When you did your 'reset', did you disconnect all peripherals by unplugging everything from the I/O panel (including audio connections) to start from scratch? In other words, did you load the OS with no printer, scanner, audio, USB (ex keyboard, mouse) etc...connected?

Is the audio driver version the same as when you first noticed the issue? If it is, have you tried an earlier version or even the original one that came with your MOBO or sound card?

Sonic Illusions

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
What app are you using when you're playing audio? Most apps and players, even online, have their own volume control. Have you checked that? Also, you didn't mention if you installed all of the latest device drivers and software updates. These include chipset, LAN, SATA, video, USB, BIOS and AUDIO, along with the OS and other software (like audio) updates. If not, updating the drivers may solve some issues and increase performance. If you have an OEM PC, going to the OEM support site will have what you need. Otherwise, you'll need to go to the individual sites, after determining the make and model of the device.

Apr 12, 2020
Thank you for replying!

To check the audio levels I mostly just used YouTube and Spotify because those worked perfectly before. But I'm going to update the drivers and reply if I hear a change!

Sonic Illusions

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
Interesting. What type of amplification are you using for your speakers? Do you have an aftermarket sound card or onboard audio? When you did your 'reset', did you disconnect all peripherals by unplugging everything from the I/O panel (including audio connections) to start from scratch? In other words, did you load the OS with no printer, scanner, audio, USB (ex keyboard, mouse) etc...connected?

Is the audio driver version the same as when you first noticed the issue? If it is, have you tried an earlier version or even the original one that came with your MOBO or sound card?

Solution

Sonic Illusions

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
Glad to hear it! I only know this stuff bc I like building PCs and there can be so many little issues when re-loading a fresh OS install. Over the years, I've dealt with many issues like this and it's almost always driver/ software related. Now YOU know!