Speakers making a scratching/popping sound

obochoman

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
I have a stereo system and have recently encountered a problem after I had replaced a receiver. my now "new" receiver is a Pioneer SX-3600 and my speakers are a a pair of Klipsch KB-15 bookshelf speakers. Everything sounds fine but when i turn the knob to adjust the volume my speakers freak out and make a loud scratching or popping sound. If I turn the volume up or down slow enough it doesn't happen, but it is REALLY slow. After the volume has been changed the speakers sound fine. Anyone know what the issue is? One other thing is that I changed the wires on one of the speakers and it seemed to help a little, so could it be the wire or how well the wires are connected?

Thanks!

Solution
It sounds like the volume control on the receiver needs to be cleaned or replaced. First thing to try is, with the receiver turned off, rotate the volume control all the way 30-40 times. Check if the problem remains. Next you would have to remove the case and see if the volume control can be accessed. If the volume control has openings that you can spray the correct cleaner into then you should try that. There are videos on youtube on how to do this.
It sounds like the volume control on the receiver needs to be cleaned or replaced. First thing to try is, with the receiver turned off, rotate the volume control all the way 30-40 times. Check if the problem remains. Next you would have to remove the case and see if the volume control can be accessed. If the volume control has openings that you can spray the correct cleaner into then you should try that. There are videos on youtube on how to do this.

Solution