Speakers making high pitch sound

MartynMatt

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
Hello,
I have just purchased a Sandstrom SRUN11 speaker system and when I turn it on a very high pitched sound is produced. This occurs on the radio function, ipod function and all other functions. Help! what can I do?

Philwright1975

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013

Hi, I have the same thing. I recently bought the same unit. Did you find the cause or solution to this?

makkem

Distinguished
Hi
Just some questions.
Does the sound get louder if the volume is turned up and is it still there with the volume off.
Is the power supply grounded.
Do you still get the noise if it is plugged into a different outlet.

Philwright1975

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013

The high pitch isn't there at the start, then it appears after a few minutes, it doesn't seem to get louder with increased volume, it does stop if muted. By outlet do you mean plug socket? If so, no, it is always there.

Cheers

Phil

makkem

Distinguished
This sounds like radio frequency interference being introduced to the Sandstrom by the mains power wiring .
You could try it in different wall sockets to see if it makes any difference but it does not help that this unit is not properly shielded or earthed(grounded).
You could try one of these http://

Philwright1975

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013

Philwright1975

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013

Thanks, you've been really helpful! I'm looking to get one of the items that you sent a link to. Once again, thank you so much for sharing your knowledge.

Cheers

Phil

Philwright1975

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
Well, the mains RFI unit didn't do the trick. I have been advised to try a new power supply. I've sent for one of these. If this doesn't do it, it's a trip to the hi-fi repair guy in Jarrow and then the bin if it can't get sorted.