Speakers, Sub and Amp compatibility question.

Mouldread

Honorable
Apr 17, 2013
Hello everyone,

I'm pretty clueless when comes down to audio and I've got a rather specific question.

I've gathered some freebies - an Audica Micro Sub Model number: AUD7-MSA and a pair of Technics Speakers Model Number: SB-HD50A.

Now the sub seem to have its own power supply but the speakers do not. What I would like to do is to buy some amp (at least that's what I think I need) and hook up the sub+speakers to my TV. The TV is Samsung Model Number: UE32EH4000W.

To save you the trouble having to look up all the mentioned above hardware, I have I have taken pictures of their back panels.

MicroSub:

15cnay0.jpg

6sw4m8.jpg

Speakers:

34zjc7s.jpg

14j27t4.jpg

TV:

2nu7ms2.jpg

Now, I was thinking of buying the following amp.

5pln5d.jpg

2cekk9i.jpg

My question is - is this whole combination going to work, and if not what kind of amp should I buy?

Solution
It could. I couldn't read the logo under that jack. You could use RCA splitters on the output of the cable you pictured. Send one output to the sub and the other to the amp.
What country are you in and what price are you looking for?

kanewolf

Judicious
The only audio output your TV has (based on your picture) is a toslink optical output. You will need a digital to analog converter and probably some kind of volume control. Digital audio output is many times a fixed level (check your owner's manual). Since you have to have an A to D converter and volume, I would recommend a used home theater receiver (pawn shop or E-bay). You will get all that you need in one handy package. It will have outputs for the subwoofer and digital input. When you have a few $$$ you can add more channels of speakers.

Mouldread

Honorable
Apr 17, 2013
Hey kanewolf,

thank you for your reply. You are right about the TV, but what about plugging the amp into the headphones jack? Would that not work?

2wnoe12.jpg

With the cable that comes with the amp -
2z51y6u.jpg

But then again, it leaves me with the question, how exactly would I connect the sub to the amp? Te amp has that "superbase output" but I can't figure out what would I do to connect it to the sub. Sorry for my probably stupid questions.

Meanwhile I'll try to look for a home theater receiver and if I find a cheap one I might post a picture of it here if you could confirm that it will do the trick.

Thanks again.

kanewolf

Judicious
It could. I couldn't read the logo under that jack. You could use RCA splitters on the output of the cable you pictured. Send one output to the sub and the other to the amp.
What country are you in and what price are you looking for?

Solution

Mouldread

Honorable
Apr 17, 2013
Hey, thanks again :)

Sadly I'm in the UK, and where I stay I don't really have such a wide variety of sources, where I could get one on the cheap. As the rest of the "set up" was free I was looking for something really really cheap ha-ha. I would say max £20. I checked eBay but most people are asking me to pay £10 delivery, which defeats the purpose of the amp/receiver being cheap.

So as you mentioned in your first post I'm guessing http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HiFi-2-1CH-Stereo-Audio-Music-Amplifier-AMP-Super-Bass-Output-AC-Power-Adapter-/221765836045?hash=item33a2461d0d:g:AocAAOSwZtJW9Orb isn't really going to do the trick?

Mouldread

Honorable
Apr 17, 2013
Actually now that I read your post a little better, I get it. It's pretty simple. All I need is a stereo amp, not even 2.1. Hook it up to the speakers to give them power and then, as you said, use RCA splitters sending one output to the sub and the other to the amp.