Special Characters in Word

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
I am currently taking a financial class and using my computer to take notes. The problem is that there are special characters we use that are not in word.
^
K for example is used often and I can't figure out how to get the caret character above the k without creating a blank line and then putting it above it. I know you can do if for the vowels but is there a way to do it for other letters?
Ctrl + shift+ ^ and then the letter doesn't work for k

OverKnight

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
This is very simple with Microsoft Equation.

1. In the Microsoft Office program of your choice, click "Insert" on the menu bar and then click "Object" from the drop-down menu.
2. Scroll through the list of Object Types until you find "Microsoft Equation 3.0". Select this and then click "OK".
3. Type the letter "K". Then select the K as if you were going to change the font.
4. On the menu bar, click "Style" and then select "Text". This sets the K to be in the normal font, not italics.
5. In the Equation Menu Bar, click on the button for Embellishments (third from left in top row), and select the appropriate option from the drop-down menu. You want the fourth item in the second column - the one with the caret.
6. Click somewhere else in your document window to close the Equation Editor and return to the normal mode.

This is a little-know trick that enables the accurate entry of many scientific, statistical, medical, etc. symbols. There's really no limit to what can be done. If you need more than Microsoft Equation can do, MathType is a commercial program that greatly enhances what Equation does.

I hope this helps.

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
Hey, thanks for the info. Better late than never. I did receive a response in another forum but that method was way complicated. I don't even remember it now. It wasn't through the equation editor but involved typing in a very specific formula in word. while it did work nicely and allowed you to move both the letter and symbol up, down and sideways in relationship to each other, it was obviously worthless as I don't remember it anymore but i still need the ability so I can clean up some of my notes.