Spilled beer on my laptop.

venom0706

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
I just accidentally spilled some beer on my laptop. It wasn't much, some drops on the keyboard and a little bit under it.I tried to dry it as soon as possible. Right now it is working but i have a question - if something happened, when it will show the consequences?

kitsunestarwind

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
sounds like from your description, the keyboard might fail (usually keys in the area of the spill stop working.) that is easy and cheap replacement

Hi :)

Going by the customers who come into my shops...anytime from now until a couple of weeks time, and most require a NEW motherboard as the beer corrodes it...

Dry it as I said NOW.... NOT tomorrow...NOW..

All the best Brett :)

venom0706

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
Another question - It was turned on while it happened, the beer wasn't much (just a few drops on the keyboard and a little beer under it, but since it hasn't turned off until then, then i guess nothing will happen right?Now it is at a really warm place and it warms itself as well while it is working so...

venom0706

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
Well, it's been a little bit more than an hour since it happen..i will remove the battery and see what happens...better than nothing..do you think it will fail? i am alone abroad and i also don't want any services...i just want to be optimistic...

Llamaman

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
With anything other than pure distilled water, there is a risk that when it dries out there will be crystallised solids (salts, sugars etc) left on the electrical compenents that can cause shorting or overheating.

Brett has already stated that a fault may take up to a few days to show itself, but the damage will have been done much earlier.

I'm not an expect on laptops (unlike Brett), but experience with other electronic devices would lead me to give the following advice;
as you left it over an hour to follow the advice given, there is a very high probability that the beer has come into contact with the motherboard. Your best bet now is to not use the machine again until you can get to a repair centre and have them clean any components. Just because it hasn't failed yet, doesn't mean it won't at some point in the future.

Sorry if this dampens your optimism, but better to be pessimistic and safe than optimistic and owner of a bricked PC.

wannabepro

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Yeah.. If you had looked at Brett's signature, you'd have seen that he owns a laptop repair company. I think he knows what he's talking about.

Its probably bricked/will be bricked.