Solved! Spilled water and keyboard/mouse messed up

Nov 11, 2018
I Have a HP Notebook - 15-ay013nr and I recently spilled water on the keyboard. I did my best to clean it right away but after a couple of minutes my track pad would have problems, freezing up randomly. So I kept restarting it until my keyboard ended up messing up. Some keys would function, but I was able to put the password with the on screen keyboard. I then uninstall both drivers in a attempt to fix It and restart it. This seem to fix my mouse but my keyboard seem to be messed up. The on screen keyboard told me that the ctrl keys were stuck. I then tried uninstalling the keyboard software from device manager then restarted. Only when I got to the password screen same issue, and whenever I click on the ease of access next to the power icon it refuses to open but instead turns on and off the narrator.
I could use some help please. Thank you

Solution
You should never ever use a device, not even powering it on, after spilling any form of liquid on it. You should turn it off, remove any battery, connected items (external mouse, etc.,), power cord, and leave it turned off and open, someplace safe and dry for anywhere from a day to multiple days (depending on the amount of liquid).

Yes, I did say days.

The sooner you use it, the more likely you are to cause anything from minor to major problems.

At this point it could just be there is still liquid/moisture in it and you need to back track and do the above. Or it is completely possible that you have already damaged one or more components and they would need replacing.
You should never ever use a device, not even powering it on, after spilling any form of liquid on it. You should turn it off, remove any battery, connected items (external mouse, etc.,), power cord, and leave it turned off and open, someplace safe and dry for anywhere from a day to multiple days (depending on the amount of liquid).

Yes, I did say days.

The sooner you use it, the more likely you are to cause anything from minor to major problems.

At this point it could just be there is still liquid/moisture in it and you need to back track and do the above. Or it is completely possible that you have already damaged one or more components and they would need replacing.

Solution
Nov 11, 2018

To explain the problem. When I first spilled the water I immediately cleaned it from the keys and the mouse pad with a hand towel I had near by. I did hold the laptop upside down to see if there was water still inside but nothing came out so I though it was safe to continue using it. I didn't turn it off as well. After like 10 minutes of usage I notice the track pad began to freeze randomly so I decided to restart it. After restarting it twice, the keyboard started to act up. Some keys would not function and others were acting weird like the w key would close tabs and the t would open a new tab. I then decided to mess with the drivers on device manager. I also decided to update the laptop. After that when I tried to input the password the keyboard wouldn't work so I tried to open up the ease of access menu on the password screen but every time I click on it, the menu won't pop up and instead I hear "narrator on". So I can't log into the computer.
Right now I have it completely shut off and open. Without the battery.

You really won't be able to test anything until it has time to dry out. It takes very little liquid to do damage. Once it has had enough time to dry out, then try it. If the keyboard still gives you issues, then try using an external one. Should it still prove problematic, then you may be looking at a motherboard replacement.

Yeldur

Commendable
Jan 28, 2017
Realistically you would want to take it somewhere where somebody has the skill to open up the machine and take a look at it, they will be able to tell you there and then whether your computer is damaged. It saves time waiting for the water to dry out.