Spilled wine all over laptop

Emerson Ng

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
2 hours ago, i spilled a full cup of white wine all over my laptop. The laptop immediately shut down and i went to take a cloth to clean the exterior. However at that time, i forgot to shut the charger off or take out the battery...i only did that much later.
I managed to flip my laptop into a L shape facing down to remove the wine.
unfortunately, i tried plugging in the charger to try to switch on my laptop a couple of times...i only realized a while ago that it was wrong :/ also, i initially used a hair dryer to dry my laptop.
im currently leaving it to dry by placing a laptop cooler over the laptop. Can anyone advice me on what to do next and probably explain the consequences of switching on the com/plugging in the charger while drying my laptop?
Many thanks
Emerson :)

Solution
In cases like this, a hair dryer is NOT the solution. Anything but straight water, and all you do is dry out the liquid, leaving the sugars and solids to goop things up.

For a keyboard or laptop, the only thing you can do is take it fully apart, and rinse thoroughly, then let dry.
But I think your laptop might be toast. Spilled and it shut down immediately = something shorted inside. No telling what, but it isn't good.

dfusco

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
The laptop is toast. Remove the hard drive and install it into an external case that plugs into a USB port. That way you can plug it into your new laptop and recover your data. Afterwards use it as a backup as you sound accident prone :)

Remember: wine spills are not covered under warranty.

USAFRet

Illustrious
In cases like this, a hair dryer is NOT the solution. Anything but straight water, and all you do is dry out the liquid, leaving the sugars and solids to goop things up.

For a keyboard or laptop, the only thing you can do is take it fully apart, and rinse thoroughly, then let dry.
But I think your laptop might be toast. Spilled and it shut down immediately = something shorted inside. No telling what, but it isn't good.

Solution