Solved! Splitter HDMI and audio receiver

gediman

Prominent
Oct 26, 2019
Good afternoon, gentlemen. Could you help me?
I bought an Onkyo receiver that only has one "output" OUT HDMI ARC, but I need an image to come out for a projector on the ceiling and for the TV without connecting and disconnecting the cables. The idea is to connect the cable TV box, the PC and the Bluray player to the "Inputs" IN HDMI of the Receiver. Apparently the solution is a splitter.

Is it necessary for the Splitter to be compatible with ARC?

I will not always have the receiver on and, sometimes, I want to listen to the TV speakers what comes to me from the sources I mentioned (PC, Bluray, cable tv), and well, if ARC is deactivated, the Onkyo Receiver will not give image of any of the sources not being connected through ARC. Does anyone know about the subject?

Sorry for my bad English language.

Solution
The splitter doesn't have to be compatible with ARC.
ARC (audio return channel) is only needed to get audio from internal TV sources (tuner or streamer) or external sources connected directly to the TV to the AVR without an additional cable. If all sources are connected to the AVR it serves no purpose.
What you do need is for the receiver to "pass through" the audio to the TV when it turned off. Check the owners manual to see if yours' can do that and if it will work with all inputs.
If the AVR doesn't have pass through then you would want to get an HDMI input selector with two outputs. One output goes directly to the TV and the other to the AVR - projector. The selector has to have a 5.1/2.0 switch so you can get surround sound when...
ARC (audio return channel) is only needed to get audio from internal TV sources (tuner or streamer) or external sources connected directly to the TV to the AVR without an additional cable. If all sources are connected to the AVR it serves no purpose.
What you do need is for the receiver to "pass through" the audio to the TV when it turned off. Check the owners manual to see if yours' can do that and if it will work with all inputs.
If the AVR doesn't have pass through then you would want to get an HDMI input selector with two outputs. One output goes directly to the TV and the other to the AVR - projector. The selector has to have a 5.1/2.0 switch so you can get surround sound when using the AVR.

Reactions: gediman
Solution

gediman

Prominent
Oct 26, 2019
If the AVR doesn't have pass through then you would want to get an HDMI input selector with two outputs. One output goes directly to the TV and the other to the AVR - projector. The selector has to have a 5.1/2.0 switch so you can get surround sound when using the AVR.

Thank you very much.
Yes, the HDMI ports work well so the receiver is turned off. It is an Onkyo TX NR-585.
I asked the question because I did a test by deactivating CEC ARC from the receiver menu and the TV stopped recognizing the receiver. I didn't think that would happen. I really have little budget and I want to buy the right thing.