Splitting Coax Signal several times

May 20, 2018
We are having our back porch redone and are thinking ahead as far as power lines, phone, coax, etc.

What we have now: The trunk splits 3 ways in the beginning. Then two of those branches split once more each at the point of use. We have no signal issues right now.

We would like to add 2 more branches at the initial split for the back porch ( one for the front wall, one for the back wall ), and then each of those splitting into 2 at the point of use ( creating a duplex coax outlet on both the front and the back of the porch .

A few things to consider:

None of our jacks will be more than 25 feet from the Fios Box.

On the back porch, while we don't intend on using all of these at once, we more than likely will use both of them at the same location at the same time, so it is necessary to have duplex ports at both locations.

My questions are:

1. Are we looking at signal strength issues?
2. Could I simulate the eventual signal strength by just installing a 5 way splitter at the initial split now and see how my signal is in my existing 5 ports ( 3 branches with two of them having a sub branch )?
3. If I do have issues, could I use one of these to solve the problem?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Channel-Master-8-Port-Ultra-Mini-Distribution-Amplifier-TV-Signal-Booster-and-Splitter-CM-3418/301794609?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CG%7CBase%7CD27E%7C27-24_HOME_THEATER%7CNA%7CPLA%7C71700000034238987%7C58700003946879305%7C92700031956844957&gclid=Cj0KCQjwlv_XBRDrARIsAH-iRJTYrxcNzJL2DtfYBh5rzbHcSoxc65gqKUScee_iSqb0MjDTbXwNpCUaAn1tEALw_wcB&dclid=CKy9mMDTk9sCFVRBDAodSukFsQ

Thank You in advance.

Solution
Alot depends on the length between main split and destination. I have a 2way splitter, 1 side to internet, the other to an 8way splitter for cable TV. We need an inline signal amplifier for the cable as it goes up to the attic and then down to the Tv's downstairs which is close to 200 feet cable length on some runs. It also depends on the splitters themselves. Both my splitters are only 3db signal loss, Alot of the cheapo splitters are 7db or higher, which can hurt especially on longer cables.
Installation is also a possible signal killer. Any kinks, sharp angles or Staples crushing the insulation can highly affect 'bleeding' where the signal bleeds over to the shielding ground. Also any half-ashed terminations at the splitters will...

Karadjgne

Distinguished
Herald
Alot depends on the length between main split and destination. I have a 2way splitter, 1 side to internet, the other to an 8way splitter for cable TV. We need an inline signal amplifier for the cable as it goes up to the attic and then down to the Tv's downstairs which is close to 200 feet cable length on some runs. It also depends on the splitters themselves. Both my splitters are only 3db signal loss, Alot of the cheapo splitters are 7db or higher, which can hurt especially on longer cables.
Installation is also a possible signal killer. Any kinks, sharp angles or Staples crushing the insulation can highly affect 'bleeding' where the signal bleeds over to the shielding ground. Also any half-ashed terminations at the splitters will allow for bleeding.

All in all, you should be fine, but there are factors that can and will change that, you'll not really know for sure until its tested out.

Solution