Spotify U.S. Subscriber Base Not Growing As Expected

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfitch

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
Am I the first. Well Slacker just works better. I rather listen to some ads and get the music I need for free. Thats why it works for me. Or pandora

G

Maybe because a lot of people left before they knew that free service would be extended. Including me...

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I hope that this business model doesn't die off. I'm sick of paying for every album/song that I want. I'm much more willing to pay $5/month to listen to everything. Of course Spotify isn't available here in Canada.

Delengowski

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011
I'd be using spotify if it didn't require facebook login, but seeing as I don't have a facebook(or any social media for that) and will not make a bogus one just to be able to use spotify; I'll just stick to pirating.

Middleman

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
Who needs Spotify when I'm already a Pandora subscriber? If I wanted to listen to music I already own, I can download it to my phone. The biggest reason I pay for Pandora is to discover music I don't already own.

Pawessum16

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
I would pay for Spotify.......if I wasn't in college and had money. Even then, a Spotify subscription is only slightly compelling of a buy. Spotify would be even more compelling if it offered streaming of music in FLAC lossless (at least on the desktop), that certainly hasn't been done, and it would help bring in CD people and audiophiles. Plus, they need to get rid of the mac gui on Windows, it looks like crap (I have an allergy to shades of grey LOL), and it works like crap (snap, among other standard Win7 window behaviors don't work).

jdog2pt0

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Viva la Pandora

I'm a happy Pandora One subscriber. If I wanted to listen to listen to music I already have, oh wait, that's what I have my Zen for.

aoneone

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
why would anyone even bother? mp3s have been free since 1997. it just boggles the mind why these poor saps would cough up moolah.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
ditto on Pandora (or pandora one). For $35 a year, i get unlimited music based on my own tastes, with new stuff added constantly.
why get another service which I know only from marketing hype, and that will charge yet another subscription fee.

If i want to listen to my own music on the go, I burn a CD

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
Blame the music content industry. Spotify's offline mode sucks because of pressure from them to have heavy DRM. Even the overall content could be better if they didn't have to pay so much for music rights. That translates to higher monthly fees for us and they still aren't even making money. The MAFIAA will resist as long as possible, blaming pirates all the while.

If the music industry thinks that cds are legit competition to a service like spotify (as in, i might buy a cd if spotify fails), they are in for a few surprises.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]I hope that this business model doesn't die off. I'm sick of paying for every album/song that I want. I'm much more willing to pay $5/month to listen to everything. Of course Spotify isn't available here in Canada.[/citation]

I don't have a problem paying for a song or even an album if reasonably priced.
What I don't like is having to buy a whole $20+ album just because I want that one song that some one-hit-wonder band made.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
There are new songs out there?
Between FM talk radio and the legalities of even playing music within earshot of other people being questioned by RIAA attorneys, I'm not sure how people even find new music. It seems they don't want people to hear it anyway, so let them keep it.

I mostly stick to the hundreds of CD's I purchased prior to 2003 when I canceled BMG and Colombia House monthly mailings over their circumvention of the legal process. I just buy sale stuff from Amazon, Google, or iTunes, and have thousands of MP3's, mostly old stuff since all the new stuff on those sites are just 30 seconds long (j/k).

Seriously though, watching UMG sue, lose, sue, lose, and sue again to drive legitimate channels out, their claims of losing trillions a year to piracy are obvious lies. $50,000 per Congressman per month is what their 4th quarter lobbying added up to in the drive for SOPA/PIPA. I don't understand any industry that survives on claims that their customers are all thieves. The artists I buy from directly have never accused me of that.

dpshelton

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
funny that this article was posted today, i just cancelled my top-tier subscription yesterday. My issue with the subscription was the performance of their app. Takes too long to do anything. They need an interface and performance re-haul, and maybe more new songs that aren't necessarily part of an album quite yet....

idono

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
[citation][nom]Delengowski[/nom]I'd be using spotify if it didn't require facebook login, but seeing as I don't have a facebook(or any social media for that) and will not make a bogus one just to be able to use spotify; I'll just stick to pirating.[/citation]

It dosen't requier facebook login. You can turn that off.

G

I think spotify is great. They need a slightly better algorithm on the radio stations, but they have some obscure albums that I couldn't even find in a torrent. Nice bitrate stuff too if you pay.

Kreth

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
its funny cause spotify became a huge hit here in sweden around 2007, and expanded over europe ever since, its only lately they´ve been able to get into the american market, but i think they were too slow, now adays theres way to much competition over the pond. It would´ve been a whole different story if they released a us version back in 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.