Spotlight: Big Monitors, Skyrim, and Musical Doorbells

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

You were one when Arena was released, so that makes you... less than a year older than me, and writing for a major news site? ._. what am I doing with my life

anamech

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
Played Oblivion for a couple of hundred hours plus!!! Awesome game!!! Played Skyrim for like 50 hours...Awesome game...not enough free time!

drewhoo

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
The HP ZR2740W is really not that great. It only displays just under 80% of the Adobe RGB color gamut, which is 100% of the reason that designers spend more money on IPS panels. Compare that to the Dell U2711's 97% of Adobe RGB. Not to mention you can get it for $810 on Newegg (if you catch the promotion).

bobharvey

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011
What is it with monitor manufactures messing us about?

2560x1440 over 17 inches is 108 ppi

A transformer TF101 is 150 ppi
A galaxy IIIs phone is 306 ppi
Even a nasty Dell Inspiron 14 inch laptop (inspiron 14-z) with a pathetic 768 vertical pixels comes out at 112 ppi.

The density of monitors has been falling since the turn of the century, it is now around half what we were getting from CRT iiyamas. I had a dell laptop n 2004 with 180 ppi, and Lenovo used to sell one for the T60 laptop.

And now, in 2012 we are supposed to get all wet over something with 108dpi? Do me a favour! This is not a premium product, it is an insult.

G

I am not sure that it is a good idea to integrate a door bell with MP3 player. How to distinguish if it is a guest at the door or just my favorite song played? Also a few minutes long song - even the best - seems to be terrible as a door chime. It should be a few seconds long, not minutes! One other weak point is the speaker. It is much too small and its volume is woefully inadequate. So, in my humble opinion it is and totally unnecessary device. By the way, I have nothing against MP3 doorbells. I have one of them in my house, bought from kakadu-usa.com. It is much better and and I can definitely recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.