Spotted: Palm Pre 2, Which Could Hit Next Month

Status
Not open for further replies.

tethoma

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
I have a Palm Pre, but when I upgrade in a year I am definitely going with the Droid. After returning 2 phones, I can tell you for sure the Palm pre is buggy.

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
ive had a palm pre... and let me tell u that webOS is GREAT... the hardware however is not. My palm pre was in pretty rough condition after a year of normal wear and tear. So much that I had to go buy a new phone (Evo 4G which I LOVE). I would love to purchase another device with WebOS on it in the future, but it will NOT be made of plastic

hmohniii

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
I've had a Palm Pre for over a year and I've loved it so far...over all. I've had random issues, but all in all, no more then any other phone I've had. WebOS is a great OS, however I've been very tempted to go with an Android phone next like the EVO... the large application base is very attractive, although I'd missing "tinkering" with the WebOS linux back end ;)

G

I stood in line to get the very 1st Palm Pre the day it was released in my area. I have had it for 1.5 years almost now. I tried out the Samsung Epic 4g for 27 days. I was ready to take it back by the first week. It is really hard to meet the simplicity, functionality, GPS, battery life, email merger that the Palm Pre has. The Epic 4g has plenty of bells and whistles. The lack of battery life makes the Epic about as portable as a netbook. Regarding the apps, yes you have many more on droid, but 75% are total trash.

TheRockMonsi

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
[citation][nom]koga73[/nom]ive had a palm pre... and let me tell u that webOS is GREAT... the hardware however is not. My palm pre was in pretty rough condition after a year of normal wear and tear. So much that I had to go buy a new phone (Evo 4G which I LOVE). I would love to purchase another device with WebOS on it in the future, but it will NOT be made of plastic[/citation]

I TOTALYY agree with you on that. I've had mine for a year now, and it's all messed up because of it being all plastic and whatnot. I'd strongly consider a Pre 2 because of the amazing OS, but it'd have to have darn good hardware so I can actually do things without it lagging, and not feel like something cheap.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I really want to believe that Palm made a good effort with the Pre and webOS, but it just isn't interesting to me. Pre looks cheap, has narrow, hard keys and a touchscreen smaller than many non-touchscreen devices nowadays.

Judging by the photos, Pre2 doesn't look to be much of an improvement.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
1GHz .. my pre is currently running at 1.1GHz >_< there's people runing them up to 1.4 with more ambitios overclocks than mine...

as for durability, i bought a nice case for it until the otter box came out then got an otter box, the phone itself looked kinda plastic and easy to pit so i knew i'd have to get a case. when i take it out though due to always being protected it looks great

only issue i ever had was when the shoulder buttong stopped working, and that i fixed with a small piece or silicone (was a defect to the first batch they released and fixed on the next series)

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
This original Pre has the distinction of having the crappiest keyboard out there. It looks the same on the Pre 2. Didn't they listen to customers?

LordConrad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2007
My Pre Plus is awesome, thanks to some overclocking with UberKernel and an extended battery from Seido. WebOS is so much better than competing operating systems.

dustcrusher

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
I'm in the market for a new phone, and having played with webOS I thought "this is really a nice, intuitive system for running a smartphone, but this hardware's lame."

So, instead of bringing us something new, or at least a design new to webOS, they bring us the same thing with a few tweaks. Not a good start at a comeback. Give us a slab with no keyboard and a big screen and a keyboard phone with keys that are friendly to large hands. If I wanted tiny little keys I'd have a Blackberry.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
A few physical tweaks and a processor that finally brings them into 2010?

*Starts slow clap*

I've been rooting for Palm, but they are really making it hard if this is truly their next thing.

G

Remember if your Palm Pre is over one year old and out of warranty, you should think about the processor with the uberkernel it. You may fall in love all over again.

G

I'm waiting to see how Android 3.0's UI will behave. Google hired a bunch of the Palm WebOS UI people. I really love the WebOS UI but it lacks a lot of the official applications you can have on Android / iOS. However, I dislike Android (up to 2.2) and iOS more than I love applications. So basically, my decision will be based on:

Android 3.0 UI + Exchange support vs WebOS applications + better hardware API

G

Love my palm pre & webos. Bought a nice leather slip in case, and it still looks as good as the day I got it. Unless you have hippopotamus fingers, the keyboard is really easy to use and I can type pretty fast with it-- I actually prefer it over a virtual one. I was due for a renewal in September, but couldn't make myself get a brick sized phone like the Evo. I'm happy with the Pre, so not looking for a new phone. Definitely beats my old blackberry. Excited about the possibility of Palm Pre 2, but I would like the design to be somewhat distinct from #1..

G

I also had my Palm Pre since the first day it came out. It always seemed to be one step behind me, too sluggish. Also, as others have mentioned elsewhere, in 1.5 years so little in the way of increasing sophistication of the native apps just didn't give the impression that Palm was trying to stay on top of functionality. I get that they had to rush to get the OS to market but there's been no catch up to the full-bodied functionality that the Palm OS has, only lots of version upgrades with non-visible changes. No question the WebOS is a breeze to use, but as tech savvy person I am acclimating to the Epic 4G just fine (after 6 days). I hated to leave Palm after a decade of use but I didn't feel my loyalty made a difference.

G

I love my current Pre so much, I passed my upgrade eligibility onto my son so he could get a new phone. His is up in March, at which time, I'll upgrade to the Pre 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.