Sprint Telling You That Its Unlimited Really Is

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
well, he is not exactly telling the truth..... Talk to their Customer Service Reps, $69 unlimited data plan/400 minutes, unlimited texting...... oh wait, you want an EVO, or Pre, or Blackberry, we need you to read the fine print, there is a $10 hidden fee for "enhanced data", but when you call their support center about it.... Quote "It is not a $10 fee for 4G", it is for "Enhanced Data", I work on networks all day, If I am on 4G, what exactly is "Enhanced Data" suppose to mean? Sprint is not being honest with their customers. And don't tell me it is to stream HD content to the phone over the 4G network.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]jisamaniac[/nom]I like how they say they are the only ones who offer unlimited everything when T-mobile has been doing it the entire time. Never messing with your data plans.[/citation]

T-Mobile has a cap on data, fyi. Hit the cap, and your data is *throttled*. Which, was also stated in the article. Throttled data is hardly what I would classify as unlimited data. Read up on it a little. But nice try brah. :)

If Sprint actually does this, and *keeps* this, this is actually a pretty good deal. Not *too* good to be true, but heck.. If AT&T did this i'd save 15 bucks a month :)

G

Actually.. Tmobile data is throttled but only if there is significant activit on the tower you are on. if there is not your speed never gets throttled. and of all the tmobile customers that i have talked to on ppcgeeks none have ever been throttled after exceeding the cap. and to respond to the sprint claim of being the only truly unlimited; i have truly unlimited for years with alltel. now after the verizon buy and slash alltel is harder to find but still unlimited if you have their service.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]magicandy[/nom].....except AT&T isn't really unlimited and even their biggest data plans are still capped, and Verizon is soon to follow. I'd say having a truly unlimited plan which is also cheaper is a bit preferable, wouldn't you?I don't understand how Sprint and T-Mobile aren't stealing customers from VZ/ATT by the truckload considering the circumstances. People really are just dumb I guess and will bend over backwards to get the latest trendy iPhone/iPad even if it means singing their internet usage away to capped access.[/citation]

I don't see why people are dumb because of the carrier they use.. I have used all the carriers in my area even some that aren't here anymore and or apart of the current ones available.. My last switch from t-mobile was because i couldn't get a signal to save my life.. Att well i wont go there it was just horrible. Sprint charges me more for the same family plan as i can get from verizon but i cant use the phone everywhere i can use my verizon phone. I haven't seen any caps on my verizon data nor have i seen any indication i will be getting any. Sure i pay more then t mobile but i get so much more from the service sprint is the closest thing to verizon where i am in regards to signal and pricing. but i rather not pay more then verizon to get less. I could also care less about the icrap on verizon or the newest latest google phones. Just a bunch of gimmicks and novelty that run out fast for me. I use boring old blackberrys.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Dirian715[/nom]Actually.. Tmobile data is throttled but only if there is significant activit on the tower you are on. if there is not your speed never gets throttled. and of all the tmobile customers that i have talked to on ppcgeeks none have ever been throttled after exceeding the cap. and to respond to the sprint claim of being the only truly unlimited; i have truly unlimited for years with alltel. now after the verizon buy and slash alltel is harder to find but still unlimited if you have their service.[/citation]

http://www.tmonews.com/2010/10/t-mobile-reducing-data-cap-will-throttle-speeds-after-5gb-of-usage/

Also, just because you have reached the cap occasionally, and nothing happens, does not mean they don't/won't/or can't. I reach the cap on my phone occasionally, and it has only been throttled once.. When I pasted it 3 months running ;P Same thing with my cable internet. The point is, they tend to overlook it if it is only once in a while.

Regardless, caps are caps, even if sporatically enforced. And T-Mobile.. has caps. Which aren't based on tower activity. Also, on that note.. Of course all traffic on a tower with significant traffic is going to slow down.. That's just called congestion. And with T-Mobile.. I'm not sure anyone would know the difference between congestion..or throttling, lol.

thrasher32

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
We'll see what happens in the next two years. I would assume that anyone has a need for a lot of data and for whom Sprint is a serious option will be switching to Sprint when their current contracts with AT&T/Verizon expire.

I know I will.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Here's to hoping Sprint makes this work. Stand out, stand up, I'm pissed at the big carriers, Telcos, ISPs, who pull this crap.

Cable helped liberate internet speeds, but ended up doing some of the same crappy things the Telcos did.

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
Having used AT&T, Tmobile, and Verizon... only Sprint has kept me the happiest followed by Verizon. Only kink in Sprint is the line up of phones... only if they had the selection like Verizon.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Here is Sprint's agreement - note the bold and underline I added. Its not a do-anything type of plan, but it is fairly generous. Also consider they give a lot more for free in their plans (Sprint Navigator, Sprint TV non-premium channels, and visual voicemail to name the main ones). The others seem to nickle-and-dime you on these (at least, the last time I checked in January). Also, the $30 tether uses your unlimited phone data option, so no 5GB cap with excessive overage fees that the others like to use. If Sprint has comparable reception (or 1 bar less), I'd say give them the 30 day trial to see if they are worth it... especially if you are a heavy data/tethering user like I am.

To ensure the activities of some users do not impair the ability of our customers to have access to reliable services provided at reasonable costs, you may not use our services in a manner that . . . harms or unduly interferes with the use of Sprint's network or systems. Sprint reserves the right, without notice or limitation, to limit data throughput speeds or quantities or to deny, terminate, end, modify, disconnect, or suspend service if an individual engages in any of the prohibited voice or data uses detailed below or if Sprint, in its sole discretion, determines action is necessary to protect its wireless networks from harm or degradation. . . . Examples of prohibited data uses: Sprint data services are provided solely for purposes of web surfing, sending and receiving email, photographs and other similar messaging activities, and the non-continuous streaming of videos, downloading of files or on line gaming. Our data services may not be used: (i) to generate excessive amounts of Internet traffic through the continuous, unattended streaming, downloading or uploading of videos or other files or to operate hosting services including, but not limited to, web or gaming hosting; (ii) to maintain continuous active network connections to the Internet such as through a web camera or machine-to-machine connections that do not involve active participation by a person; (iii) to disrupt email use by others using automated or manual routines, including, but not limited to "auto-responders" or cancel bots or other similar routines; (iv) to transmit or facilitate any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, telemarketing, promotional materials, "junk mail", unsolicited commercial or bulk email, or fax; (v) for activities adversely affecting the ability of other people or systems to use either Sprint's wireless services or other parties' Internet-based resources, including, but not limited to, "denial of service" (DoS) attacks against another network host or individual user; (vi) for an activity that connects any device to Personal Computers (including without limitation, laptops), or other equipment for the purpose of transmitting wireless data over the network (unless customer is using a plan designated for such usage); or (vi) for any other reason that, in our sole discretion violates our policy of providing service for individual use. Unlimited Use Plans. If you subscribe to rate plans, services or features that are described as unlimited, you should be aware that such "unlimited" plans are subject to these Sprint Prohibited Network Uses.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]fancarolina[/nom]I recently switched to Sprint from Verizon for this very reason. I knew the capping was coming and I didn't want any part of it. Lets just hope Sprint keeps to their word for a while.I also switched for the Evo was a nice Android device, well everything except the battery. But that can be solved with an aftermarket one. Note to HTC: Actually test your phones battery in the real world please.[/citation]

I switched from Verizon to Sprint because I was tired of my bill changing monthly. 1 Month, it was $60-$65....the next month, it was $72+....then it'd be $50-$60.....then back up... My plan was only $39.95 a month.....but my bill never dropped below $50... And the extra $20 a month because of my LG Chocolate Touch being a "multi-media phone" didn't help matters either....My LG Rumor Touch is also a "multi-media phone"....but Sprint doesn't charge me $20 extra for it... I had to ditch my Chocolate Touch because of the extra $20 a month to use it....

G

This is awesome! It's great to have unlimited access. I love it! usedsprintphones

G

Sprint is on the Clear 4G network and follows its AUP and it is capped and throttled with the same old unlimited word game of wireless of the last few years. Sorry to bring down the show. Sprint is not unlimited use. It s is the most GB for mobile you will get but its not unlimited. Read the Clear AUP for the rules Sprint, Comcast, and T_mobile must follow as they all use Clear's network. Fios is the only unlimited web access. Fiber optic is not nearly as costly per user as 4g wireless or cable. They are flouting unlimited again like the class actions never happend. Acceptable loss comes to mind. Its is that or they put some lawmakers in line with lobby money. Clear is under Class action for fake out unlimited ads and Sprint will be there as well under the same rules.

G

I have been using Sprint for 10 years and am quite satisfied with them. I recently did a price comparision, Sprint has the best pricing plan. Sure, it has dropped calls, ALL Carriers do. The best part is that you can roam on Vzn network for free if Sprint signal is weak and vice versa, Vzn can roam on Sprint network.
Like previous post, other carriers' signal may be better in your area. By all means, that is the one which you should subscribe.

I do agree that the enhanced data is still the same 3G data that the basic phones receive, and the smartphones should not be billed more.

I have a $30 blackberry data plan that includes unlimited texts and data.

G

I went into the sprint store here locally and did a speed test on the laptop they had on display and it was running ~200 KB/S... (ouch) I ran it on my phone in the same spot and I was hitting ~2 MB/s I know the store manager of the sprint store personally (I used to work for him) and I showed him this and he immediatly kicked me out of the store... I can't help but laugh... if you really want to see why they are so cheap do as I did... go to speedtest.net and check their speeds... when I did it in their 4g area it was just barely faster than my 3g phone that I was running at the time.... Another thing I want to mention is the whole thing with the t-mobile and at&T proposed merger, why do you think it is that sprint is fighting it so hard... because it will "stifle" innovation and increase coverage beyond that of sprints and verizons. what do you think is next Verizon/Sprint merger... who knows... but people who switch from Verizon to Sprint may be coming back to big red... the best thing to do was stay on Verizon and keep you unlimited data... because there is a grandfather clause in the contracts... now people who switched lost out on that.. and when Sprint goes under its gone for good... :(

G

And I also wanted to mention to the people that are saying its hard to go over 2GB... yes I agree it tougher than most anything to get to 2gb right now... but now android is releasing things like netflix and streaming services similar to that... now that our phones have HDMI ports all I do is stream netflix from my phone straight into my TV no computer or game system needed... I personally am glad for unlimited data which you can only get till the 6th of July with Verizon... I'm using on average 7gb a month in data usage.. which would not be good had I been on Sprint, T-mobile, or AT&T

G

im on tmobile and they do throttle speeds when as soon reach data limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS