Square Enix: Final Fantasy XIII-2 Will Be Dark

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdamon113

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
someone reply if they would.
I havent played Final Fantasy since first gen Nintendo Final Fantasy 3.
Back in my collage days I loved the game.
If I got this new version Would I be okay to play or would I be lost.

thanks

AMW1011

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
[citation][nom]jdamon113[/nom]someone reply if they would.I havent played Final Fantasy since first gen Nintendo Final Fantasy 3.Back in my collage days I loved the game. If I got this new version Would I be okay to play or would I be lost.thanks[/citation]

Its hard to say how the game will feel to those who have not played the first Final Fantasy XIII, but I'm sure the story will be told in a way that is comprehensible to first time players, and the learning curve of your average Final Fantasy these days isn't so bad. So I say get it if you want it.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
If you haven't played XIII I would definitely recommend you pick it up (can be found for $20 if you look) as its a great game.

Their are also rumors that XIII-2 will feature a much more open world compared to XIII which will be a definite plus

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
I didn't really take to the first FFXIII, so i'm not overly interested in the sequel. The 'spin-off' Final Fantasy Versus XIII, however, I'm quite looking forward to..

That's a still a fair way away though, by the looks of it.

[citation][nom]jdamon113[/nom]someone reply if they would.I havent played Final Fantasy since first gen Nintendo Final Fantasy 3.Back in my collage days I loved the game. If I got this new version Would I be okay to play or would I be lost.thanks[/citation]
The series has changed a massive amount, as you could expect. I keep hearing from FF fans (i'm not a big fan in general) that games 7-10 were pretty great.

I generally prefer 1-6 over the newer ones, but, hey, you might really enjoy FFXIII.

marokero

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
I haven't played FF in consoles ever since 7. I played some of 9, but after 7 it seems Square Enix was going for too much realism. I much preferred the game when it was more old school. I have FF for iPhone, and I guess that's as far as I would go these days.

ac21365

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
So instead of plotless, vibrant, sparkly nonsensical eye candy... it'll be plotless, dark, spooky nonsensical eye candy...

Gotchya.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010

By "first Gen Nintendo," do you actually mean the NES, or do you mean Final Fantasy III/VI for the SNES? I cut my teeth on the SNES Final Fantasy III/VI, and it remains my favorite game of all time, though I've played every one of the main-line (i.e., non-Tactics, or other branch-off) Final Fantasy game except for X-2. I'd definitely recommend giving FFXIII a go. There's no real sense in comparing that game against any of the games as old as the ones you played directly, since the series hasn't had any singular storyline, world/environment, or major characters to really tie the games together. That being the case, you wouldn't really be any more "lost" picking up XIII than you would be with any other unrelated game.

I will say, though, that the biggest difference between the FF game you played and XIII, and perhaps the biggest turn-off, is how "linear" it is. Gone are the days of open-world exploration, dungeons, random encounters and airships, in favor of a design that takes you on a set course throughout most of the game (with some ability to go where you please, but not until quite late in the game). I'm not trying to characterize this as good or bad, it just "is" - if you really liked that aspect of the old games, XIII will be a bit of an adjustment.

Still, I'd recommend trying it - visually appealing, generally compelling character development (but god damn is one of them obnoxious), interesting (if not a bit confusing, at times) storyline, solid combat system... Worth a rent, at the very least.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
FF Tactics was actually quite brilliant game imo though the story was rather simple in comparison to other FF games and if you made it to the end of the game there was no challenge to the final boss.

FF7 is the most memorable but imo not the best.

FF1 I played on the original NES and it was a very hard game, even towards the end you could get wiped out by a random encounter.
FF4 was simply epic, that one showed up in the US as FFII for the SNES.
FF12 was surprisingly difficult game, I've still not finished all the sidequests, and it looked very good imo w/o ever being pointless eye candy.

Never played 13 because I don't have a PS3, might work on fixing that sometime later this year.

neokaer

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
[citation][nom]Restatement3dofTed[/nom]...I will say, though, that the biggest difference between the FF game you played and XIII, and perhaps the biggest turn-off, is how "linear" it is. Gone are the days of open-world exploration, dungeons, random encounters and airships, in favor of a design that takes you on a set course throughout most of the game (with some ability to go where you please, but not until quite late in the game). I'm not trying to characterize this as good or bad, it just "is" - if you really liked that aspect of the old games, XIII will be a bit of an adjustment...[/citation]
I actually liked the "linear" aspect of it 'cause it really cut down on the "long hours of wandering aimlessly looking for that unturned rock, or secret dungeon" and I liked the missions which kept me occupied after beating the game.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
*was just reminded that he wants to play Blitzball*

Sorry, that was the best part of FF X for me(my Tidus can score a goal any time he shoots now :p ).

I liked 1,2,3,4,7-13(maybe I play too much). They all had decent storylines, and the gameplay was good. At least they are trying to innovate with new gameplay every so often, and the graphics of 13 were a nice touch.

@Niva- 12 was a little easy if you ask me. Did you use their "summon" abilities against any of the bosses? Those things could wipe them out insanely fast if you tried those.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]neokaer[/nom]I actually liked the "linear" aspect of it 'cause it really cut down on the "long hours of wandering aimlessly looking for that unturned rock, or secret dungeon" and I liked the missions which kept me occupied after beating the game.[/citation]

I agree. The linear portion of the game kept me from getting lost. Only after overcoming Orphan and returning to the Archylte Steppe (for the 64 sidequests) does the game kind of open up. Very pretty game. Will capture your attention and interest if you let it. Tons of upsides, and the game easily pays for itself in terms of hours played and payout for the game.
Let yourself enjoy it instead of trying to rush through it as fast as possible (not the point).

There are some big down-sides:
-Selling items that can only be gained once (i.e. gold watch, growth egg, genji gloves, elixir), where you have to literally start the game over to recover from it.
-Economics of the game not well explained unless you to some serious internet searches.

Long Gui & Shaolong Gui are good challenges for "farming" expensive items.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
:)
I loved FF XII, though disliked FF XII. I've played FF X a little, and FF X-2 more so.
There's only one thing I dislike about the FF series... only the MMORPG's are on PC (of which I'm not interested in).
I get annoyed when I see a game I feel I must have, and it's a console only release, as I have invested a ridiculous amount into my gaming PC. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels the same.

dapneym

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
In general I liked XIII, although I really do miss the much more open worlds of 7-9 (even compared with the PS2 games). I'd love to see what the PS3 could do with such open worlds in a Final Fantasy game. I'll probably give XIII-2 a go either way :)

speedemon

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
FF3 snes was my favorite rgp, I remember i traded super metroid for it just because i had finished the game... Thought i made out just because of the value the game held at funcoland and never really intended on playing it, glad i did.
anyways that game had a footstep counter. anyone remember that? I forgot how many but i had quite a few after 50+ hours.

fstrthnu

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
To be honest, if you can find a copy, I suggest you get one of the Tales games instead. Fully real-time battle systems + more consistent voice acting + MUCH better humor. It's more distinctly Japanese in its quirkiness and characters (for most of them anyways), but the main thing is that it's much more fun and enjoyable than Final Fantasy. Admittedly, some of the stories are pretty mediocre (Symphonia, Eternia); however, most of them are reasonably strong (especially Legendia), and the main focus is on the gameplay anyways. I certainly prefer gameplay-focused RPGs with average (not BAD) than story-focused RPGs with terrible/boring battle systems.

On Final Fantasy, I was hoping for more concrete details on Final Fantasy Versus XIII (at least a release date). It seems that Square Enix is getting into the milking fashion - they didn't even finish the other 2 original XIII titles yet (Agito and Versus)

Status
Not open for further replies.