SSD For Laptop

jbd12345

Estimable
May 25, 2014
Hi, I recently bought a Gigbyet R3 laptop and I love it, but its painful to live with a HDD after using an SSD for so long on my desktop... It supports dual storage so I contacted Gigabyte and gave me a Qualified vendor list which only included Liteon SSDs which I cant seem to find anywhere here (Australia). My question is, is it worth the risk of going with another brand? if so what brands are good value. P.S. It must be mSATA. Thanks

Solution
any brand that supports msata will do mate. qualified vendors just means that they took money from the ssd manufacturer to include them in the marketing... basically we will give you money if you direct ssd enquirers to our products.
adata and smasung will likely be your best 2 options
as they offer some of the better drives on the market.

HEXiT

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
any brand that supports msata will do mate. qualified vendors just means that they took money from the ssd manufacturer to include them in the marketing... basically we will give you money if you direct ssd enquirers to our products.
adata and smasung will likely be your best 2 options
as they offer some of the better drives on the market.

Solution

Bezzell

Honorable
May 13, 2013

Any brand will work fine. Samsung, Sandisk, Intel, Kingston, and Adata are some popular ones.

pauls3743

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
There aren't that many brands of mSATA drive out there. I went with Samsung myself. I have got to say though, I wouldn't be looking to add a second drive to your existing hard rive as you'll still be stuck with a mechanical hard drive for your OS, I'd be looking to replace your hard drive with an SSD as this will speed up the responsiveness of your system.

jbd12345

Estimable
May 25, 2014

It's got a dual storage system so I'll just pop the current HDD into y desktop and clone it onto the new SSD and then put both in the laptop.

pauls3743

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011

Sounds like a plan, I'd leave the hard drive out of the laptop though. Unless you change the boot order in the laptop bios then your laptop will still boot from the hard drive, not the mSATA/SSD next time you boot it. You'll probably have to change the boot order anyway to get it to boot from the mSATA/SSD.

jbd12345

Estimable
May 25, 2014

I'll definitely be leaving it in. I like my movies, music and games... haha

jbd12345

Estimable
May 25, 2014

I meant I'd take everything off except the OS+programs then clone it but now that I think of it a format of the HDD and fresh installation on the SSD will probably be less effort, I'll see what I feel like when the time comes I suppose...