SSD Installation Problem

Jerald7

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Hello,
My hard drive crashed in an HP laptop running Windows Vista. I am replacing the HD with an SSD as the main (and only) drive. I do not have the Vista installation disks, but do have the Vista Recovery Disks. I installed the SSD, put the Recovery disk in the CD drive, it attempts to boot from the recovery disk, but doesn't ever boot up. What am I missing?
Thanks for any help.

in the bios check that the laptop is seeing the ssd. most ssd you dont run the sata ports in ide mode but achi mode. alos see that the cd-rom is the first boot device. if not it going to try and boot from a empty ssd.

Jerald7

Honorable
May 28, 2012
In the BIOS, the only place I see the hard drive mentioned, is where you do the "Self Test" of the HD. I ran this test, and it passed, so it seems it is seeing the SSD.

Jerald7

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Problem Solved.
I formatted the SSD, then ran "Partition Wizard" to create the boot partition on the SSD. After that, the laptop successfully ran the Recovery Disks, reinstalled Windows, and returned the laptop to it's original state. The new SSD is working just fine. I did not realize that you had to use another program to format and create the boot partition on the SSD before Windows Recovery Disks would work. Perhaps this info will help someone else.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

xxnileshxx

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

can you please post your steps as to how you did this. Do I need another software to format and Partion the ssd also what is the size of the Partition