SSD replacement for HP Pavilion AL021TU

blinkash

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017
Hi, everybody. I just bought an HP Pavilion AL021TU 14-inch laptop. I want to replace the HDD with an SSD. I opened the laptop myself to see which SSD would fit in. The size of the HDD looks as if a normal SSD can replace the HDD. When I contacted HP, they said it can only be replaced with a SSHD and not an SSD. It was clear from the conversation that they are clueless about it. Can you guys help me with it?

Solution
So long as the HDD you've seen is between the thickness of 7~9.5mm and is in the 2.5" drive form factor, you can drop in an SSD of similar dimensions of any capacity. The only question would be, how much are you willing to spend on the SSD? You will need to reinstall your OS and the necessary drivers but prior to removing any of the original hardware, just make sure you're on the latest BIOS for your laptop.

On another note do you own the HP Pavilion 14-AL022TU? If so this thread may interest you and if the SKU is the same, then you can drop in an M2.2280, SATA-3 SSD into your system without removing the HDD.

If you could shoot us a pic of the innards, that would help two fold for us and you.

Lutfij

Splendid
So long as the HDD you've seen is between the thickness of 7~9.5mm and is in the 2.5" drive form factor, you can drop in an SSD of similar dimensions of any capacity. The only question would be, how much are you willing to spend on the SSD? You will need to reinstall your OS and the necessary drivers but prior to removing any of the original hardware, just make sure you're on the latest BIOS for your laptop.

On another note do you own the HP Pavilion 14-AL022TU? If so this thread may interest you and if the SKU is the same, then you can drop in an M2.2280, SATA-3 SSD into your system without removing the HDD.

If you could shoot us a pic of the innards, that would help two fold for us and you.

Solution

SgtScream

Estimable
Dec 8, 2016
You can purchase a 2.5 inch drive USB adapter l at your local hard ware store. Plug the new ssd into that adapter and use a disc cloning image application like acronis to clone your old drive, to the new drive.

blinkash

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017
Thank you for your answer. Glad I can replace the HDD with the SSD. Also, the solution you gave me about m2.2280 SATA-3 SSD, I opened my laptop, but couldn't find any place I could fit this SSD into. I do not have a photo of the innards, but I'll post it for sure tomorrow.