SSD Windows 10 installation.

technomike

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
Hi there,

I have just purchased this lenovo ideapad u410 from someone, and they have installed a fresh copy of windows 10 on it. It still has the recovery partition etc intact, so I still have use of the one button recovery. I would like to keep that functionality intact. The recovery and laptop were designed with Windows 8, therefore if i use recovery it will reinstall that, but I have no problem then upgrading.

This model does however have an 1tb HDD along with an 24gb SSD which has been upgraded to 64gb SSD for quick boot etc.

The installation at the moment is all on the HDD and the SSD is not being used. I would like to have Windows installed on this, so I can keep it seperate and make use of the quick boot features.

My question is, how can I use the recovery to re-install windows to the SSD instead of the HDD and make use of the quick boot feature.

Really appreciate any help into this as I am really happy with the laptop except for this minor issue! :)

Solution
You cannot do that. The SSD is for caching only. If you install the OS, or modify the partition at all, you will probably fubar the whole unit. The SSD IS probably being use, but for caching rather than storage or an active OS. I could be wrong, but netbooks and such that come with those small drives are almost ALWAYS configured that way with the small SSD used for caching purposes only. Even the firmware is configured for that, so changing it screws up the entire operation. The boot partition may even be located there to facilitate faster boot sequence.

If you want the OS installed on an SSD, I'd suggest you purchase an SSD and install it in place of the HDD.
You cannot do that. The SSD is for caching only. If you install the OS, or modify the partition at all, you will probably fubar the whole unit. The SSD IS probably being use, but for caching rather than storage or an active OS. I could be wrong, but netbooks and such that come with those small drives are almost ALWAYS configured that way with the small SSD used for caching purposes only. Even the firmware is configured for that, so changing it screws up the entire operation. The boot partition may even be located there to facilitate faster boot sequence.

If you want the OS installed on an SSD, I'd suggest you purchase an SSD and install it in place of the HDD.

Solution

Mark_1970

Estimable
Nov 14, 2015

Good answer, i agree 100%