Stanford Scientists Hope to Hack into Stephen Hawking's Brain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
If I were immobilized, especially for so many years of my life, I don't think anyone would want to be reading my mind. When the device finally becomes fully functional, Stephen's brain readout is going to have page after page of "t1ts, @ss, t1ts, @ss, physics, t1ts, @ss, t1ts, @ss, physics....."

shloader

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
At least it's another word Apple can't put an 'i' in front of and call themselves clever.

Reading is one thing but I hope to see in my lifetime when we can encode knowledge to the brain as well. I can finally have my vulcan mind meld, albeit via technology.

thomaslompton

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2005
I hate listening to his atheistic crap that is not even based on science. He may be smart, but he is definitely bitter towards God.

osamabinrobot

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
[citation][nom]thomaslompton[/nom]I hate listening to his atheistic crap that is not even based on science. He may be smart, but he is definitely bitter towards God.[/citation]
thanks, i needed a good laugh today

Robi_g

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
[citation][nom]thomaslompton[/nom]I hate listening to his atheistic crap that is not even based on science. He may be smart, but he is definitely bitter towards God.[/citation]

why even bring religion into this? Pointless, he has an opinion let him express it, if you don't like it don't listen to it. Anyway back on topic, how are they going to filter all the different brain functions, surely the machine will pick up stuff like breathing or thinking about being hungry or whatever.

alan1302

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009

Just because you dot agree does not make it crap - and if you were in his situation surely if you believed in God you can understand why he would be bitter towards him.

amuffin

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]Please just call it anything other than the iBrain. Call it skittles, I don't care.[/citation]
I like this guy.

Skittles FTW!

QEFX

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007

Well I'm bitter towards God. He/She/It allowed you to have a computer. :)

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
Silly name maybe... but the loss of Hawkings insight while he's still alive and fully capable of continuing his brilliant work would be a huge loss for Humanity. We're talking about an intellectual capacity that occurs less than once per generation. I think the path they're following (going after motor function) is a great idea (better understood than higher thought), and we will potentially get the added benefit of seeing the rapid evolution of direct neural interfaces - something that could potentially benefit us all.

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
I hope this technology evolves fast enough for Stephen and others to benefit for many years to come. For those who know what this guy has done for Science, we'd hope to educate the rest such that they hope they understand that his previous and 'future potential' contributions vastly outstrip what >99.999....% of humanity till this date realises.

Status
Not open for further replies.