Star Trek: Discovery Review: Strange New World

Status
Not open for further replies.

richardsegal

Prominent
Sep 25, 2017
As a long time Star Trek junkie, I found it ok, but the contrived. It probably has possibilities. Everything can change, but there wasn't enough in the first episode to make me want to pay for the second. I'll wait for the re-runs.

56kbmodem

Prominent
Sep 26, 2017
"First: As a sci-fi/action drama, Star Trek: Discovery is nearly unparalleled. The story is intense, the writing is engaging, the cinematography is gorgeous, the special effects are top-notch, the cast is convincing and the pacing is brisk."
IS THIS OPPOSITE DAY?? I think we watched a different show here.
The story sucked, writing was retarded, cinematography was headache inducing (45 degree angle all the time, wtd).

clevelandraymond

Prominent
Sep 26, 2017
Also, why do the Klingons look like the builder's from Alien's prequel, Prometheus? Did they hire the same CGI company and to save money they said, "F' it... Just put ridges on the Alien's builders and we'll call them Klingons!"

aslagle

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You know, for it to be good sci-fi/action, it needs to get at least part of its science right. Gotta love the optical beacon that calls ships from "across the galaxy" (their words, not mine) in a matter of hours? A water table that was lowered due to a drought, but still pushes water up to a well head when a hole is drilled? People who "are too small to be noticed" on a planet's surface, but a design scratched using footprints is? Too many items in the first episodes seemed to be of the "hey, this would be cool, let's include this" variety, regardless of whether it made sense or not.

gdmiller004

Prominent
Sep 26, 2017
The show was good, but putting it on a separate streaming system is bad. Did you happen to check out the terms and conditions that go with this service? There is a lot about what advertisers can do to track you with cookies and internet beacons I think they called it so they can collect your history and focus their adds at you. They also say that is is possible that not every 3rd party who has your data will be listed in a way that easily allows you to opt out. So buyer be aware. I would watch this on CBS, but sadly my email is already filled to the brim with unwanted advertisers and I don't need more on my web pages. Because of this I am passing on the series.

teryharned

Prominent
Sep 27, 2017
Long time trek fan. This show is NOT part of the Trek universe. It's missing one of the main characters, the Enterprise ship. The main characters are boring more due to the writing than the acting. The sets are great. but the reviewer was totally correct in his review of the Klingons and their sets/culture. The Trek universe has always featured strong captains and crew. This crew is pedestrian, again due to the writing. I wouldn't spend one cent to view the series when it moves to CBS's pay tv channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.