Star Wars Blu-ray Release Date Set for Sept. 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

$CDN is worth more than $US, why the f*ck are we paying more? Suck it, Lucas.

G

So we can save one penny by buying the trilogy sets separately!

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]chmils1[/nom]$CDN is worth more than $US, why the f*ck are we paying more? Suck it, Lucas.[/citation]
It's not your place to ask questions, just do as Mr. Lucas says! He told you to go and buy his movies for the 29th time and that's what you're supposed to do!!! [sarcasm]

mshahin

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
To be honest, why would he go this far? Gets annoying how there's a new fer of the classics every year or so. Just leave them how they were, and stop messing them up :(

Plus, since the originals weren't filmed in HD, would blu ray even make a dif?

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
^ Youve got to be kidding me. Originals were on film which is actually higher resolution than Bluray. I've got Bluray versions of films made in the 60's that look fantastic.

G

I think Star Wars was filmed in 35mm which is roughly the same resolution as 6000p, which is way more than Blu-ray can handle.

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
[citation][nom]IsamuAlvaDyson[/nom]I think Star Wars was filmed in 35mm which is roughly the same resolution as 6000p, which is way more than Blu-ray can handle.[/citation]

but their is no way they had 6000p in the 80's... what and eight track is making a comeback too right? /sarcasm

that is the reason 35mm film has been a standard for so many years

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]fyasko[/nom]but their is no way they had 6000p in the 80's... what and eight track is making a comeback too right? /sarcasmthat is the reason 35mm film has been a standard for so many years[/citation]

They had 6000p equivalent in the 60's, nevermind the 80's.

jamesedgeuk2000

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]They had 6000p equivalent in the 60's, nevermind the 80's.[/citation]

LMAO no they didn't, 35mm is an analogue format, the quality of the recording depends on the equipment used to shoot it not the film itself, the are NO films made in the 60's that are 6000p equivalent.

The reason blurays of old films look so good is the film can be blown up without becoming pixalated and then transposed into the 1080p frame, basically their upscaling the film and putting it on BR and because their equipment is better than a dvd player upscaling to 1080p on the fly it looks better..

rwpritchett

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I'm only interested in a cleaned up 1080p version of the original trilogy. Re-do the audio for DTS-MA or DD-TrueHD and then leave it alone.

Han shot first!!!!!

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]jamesedgeuk2000[/nom]LMAO no they didn't, 35mm is an analogue format, the quality of the recording depends on the equipment used to shoot it not the film itself, the are NO films made in the 60's that are 6000p equivalent.[/citation]

Sorry, but you're wrong. I never said it was commonplace, but there was equipment in the 60's capable of amazingly high resolutions and quality.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
[citation][nom]fyasko[/nom]but their is no way they had 6000p in the 80's... what and eight track is making a comeback too right? /sarcasmthat is the reason 35mm film has been a standard for so many years[/citation]

you do knowe there is a media well above 1 tb its caled a hardrive

chris_bc_33

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
To jamesedgeuk2000 and others who think they know something - Yes movies pre 2000 ish (and certainly many since) were shot on analog film, but that film does have an equivalent resolution when compared side by side with a pure digital recording, and it's definitely much higher than 1920 x 1080. It doesn't need to be upscaled to get there either. If it was shot on 70mm film (very common) its equivalent resolution will likely be close to 6000p.

As for me I'd like to see them release the originals without the revisionist history. The first Star Wars movie had no episode at all, for example. The "Episode IV" garbage was added later. Even the so called episode VI was simply "Star Wars III" back when it was released.

If you doubt this I suggest checking for the old Newsweek cover from the 80's before spouting off, and read the George Lucas interview inside while you're at it. At that time he had some ideas for other Star Wars films but nothing was set such that the first three movies had episode numbers. I'd be curious to know if anyone else has seen if this has been publicized. As far as I've been able to see it's just been forgotten and never challenged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS