Star Wars Blu-ray Release Date Set for Sept. 16

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

yet another example of how Lucas has transformed into a lazy Hutt milking the franchise and gorging on the money of poor suckers that rush to get the "new release"... He would do better to invest his considerable money to make the final trilogy... Preferably written and directed by someone else so we wont suffer another ewok or jarjar debacle...

nisallik

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008
I'm sure even if George Lucas took the Thrawn Trilogy (What most people consider episode 7 - 9) and converted it perfectly, people would complain just as much about it as episode 1-3. Episode 6 could of been better, but after reading the X-Wing series, I couldn't see it changed in any way.

Yub, Yub Commander. ;p

marney_5

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
George Lucas is not happy until he has destroyed his legacy by making new versions over new versions, over new versions ect! He is not happy until he has all the money in the world and has his own evil empire......... Such a douche!!!!!

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
stop comparing fils to any digital standard... it is an optical image capture it is NOT THE SAME and any sort of pixel density

we have moved away from film in most cases and are on to makign things all digital... it makes it cheaper to make movies but by no means is it better... and optical image is an optical image and will not degrade quality through magnification

this is why when they do a recapture from the origional footage they can damn near blow up the image to as detailed as they want in terms of pixel density. now some dvd to blurays actually jsut convert the old digital fiel to a enw one which is dumb and can produce loss in quality from blueray to dvd.. assuming they are getting from the film on this it will indeed be a quality increase as will any film to digital convertion in mediums fo rthe forseeable future

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
And here we go, first the blue-ray version, then blue ray special-edition and finally blue ray directors cut. All in the name of milking the fans over and over. Isn't star wars already over milked enough? Today its like a cow that only gives sour milk

No wonder the star wars brand is dying, people is associating it with maximizing profit, not tell a great story in a splendid way like it was back in the days

dgingeri

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
What's the point when most people can't tell the difference between Blu-Ray and DVD?

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/04/30/blu-ray-the-future-has-been-delayed/

Seriously, it doesn't make much sense. I bet my glasses make the picture quality I see far worse than the difference between DVD and Blu-ray.

Then figure in that the first 3 movies (the middle 3 of the story) were filmed with regular film with a much lower picture quality than DVD. Blu-Ray won't help with that.

Really, what's the point?

nisallik

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]And here we go, first the blue-ray version, then blue ray special-edition and finally blue ray directors cut. All in the name of milking the fans over and over. Isn't star wars already over milked enough? Today its like a cow that only gives sour milk
No wonder the star wars brand is dying, people is associating it with maximizing profit, not tell a great story in a splendid way like it was back in the days[/citation]

You might be thinking about LotR releases, as that is what they are doing. The Complete Saga will include everything and have 30+ hours of included features.

The Star Wars brand is not dying... a new generation is getting absorbed into the series with "Star Wars: The Clone Wars." Many books/comics released every year. Also, The Old Republic is coming out this year.

dgingeri

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
[citation][nom]f-gomes[/nom]Not filmed in HD? Dude, it was recorded in FILM. 35mm film. The resolution is miles above what you call 'HD'.[/citation]

um, no. 35mm film of that era is far lower picture quality of even DVD. While it didn't have pixels, it still had particles of crystals of various chemicals that gives a very similar mechanism as digital resolution, but not set up in a grid array. They had a roughly equal picture quality as a computer screen at 320X240 in the late 70's. chemical advancements in the early 80's led to Return of the Jedi having a quality about equal to a computer screen at 800X600. mid to late 90's films were at about equal to 1024X769 resolution when filmed on 35mm film, or about double that when filmed on 65-70mm film.

Moving these films to Blu-ray won't improve picture quality at all. Films of that era simply didn't have the initial picture quality to gain anything from Blu-ray.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]nisallik[/nom]You might be thinking about LotR releases, as that is what they are doing. The Complete Saga will include everything and have 30+ hours of included features.The Star Wars brand is not dying... a new generation is getting absorbed into the series with "Star Wars: The Clone Wars." Many books/comics released every year. Also, The Old Republic is coming out this year.[/citation]
Heck, forget the new generation, I'm in my 30s and I'm getting sucked into The Clone Wars. Some of the plots and character development in those is better than the movies.

That said, I have no interest in the blu-ray version, the story will still be the same and the ewoks will still win. Unless they plan on replacing Hayden with the clone wars CG Anakin, poor Sebastian Shaw...

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
The best thing Canadians like me are to do, is take our higher valued Dollar AND buy it in the USA when travelling there during summer, i.e Vermont, Maine, Florida, etc.

oh wait... September... FFFFFUUUUUUUUUU

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]No, it's not.US dollars are worth more than CDN dollars. The prices are correct...If you don't believe me look it up.[/citation]

i just did as of today the US dollar is 0.9698 vs Canadian 1.033 if you don't believe me LOOK IT UP

peterson99

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
Were paying $40 extra when our dollar is pretty much the same ( Our dollar is actually higher at the time of this posting). Bullshit!!!

Well, looks like ill be downloading something on September 16.... suck on that Lucas

i8cookiemonster

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
[citation][nom]dgingeri[/nom]um, no. 35mm film of that era is far lower picture quality of even DVD. While it didn't have pixels, it still had particles of crystals of various chemicals that gives a very similar mechanism as digital resolution, but not set up in a grid array. They had a roughly equal picture quality as a computer screen at 320X240 in the late 70's. chemical advancements in the early 80's led to Return of the Jedi having a quality about equal to a computer screen at 800X600. mid to late 90's films were at about equal to 1024X769 resolution when filmed on 35mm film, or about double that when filmed on 65-70mm film. Moving these films to Blu-ray won't improve picture quality at all. Films of that era simply didn't have the initial picture quality to gain anything from Blu-ray.[/citation]

Not sure where you get your information from, but it is incorrect. As several people have pointed out before 35mm film resolves to ~6000 lines of resolution (via Wikipedia) or up to ~12 million pixels depending on lenses and film stock used (vs. 1080p's ~2 million pixel images, quoted from other sources). Knowing is half the battle! ;)

i8cookiemonster

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
[citation][nom]dgingeri[/nom]um, no. 35mm film of that era is far lower picture quality of even DVD. While it didn't have pixels, it still had particles of crystals of various chemicals that gives a very similar mechanism as digital resolution, but not set up in a grid array. They had a roughly equal picture quality as a computer screen at 320X240 in the late 70's. chemical advancements in the early 80's led to Return of the Jedi having a quality about equal to a computer screen at 800X600. mid to late 90's films were at about equal to 1024X769 resolution when filmed on 35mm film, or about double that when filmed on 65-70mm film. Moving these films to Blu-ray won't improve picture quality at all. Films of that era simply didn't have the initial picture quality to gain anything from Blu-ray.[/citation]

Not sure where you get your information from, but it is incorrect. As several people have pointed out before 35mm film resolves to ~6000 lines of resolution (via Wikipedia) or up to ~12 million pixels depending on lenses and film stock used (vs. 1080p's ~2 million pixel images, quoted from other sources). Knowing is half the battle! ;)

azcoyote

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
Wow. A lot of banter about transfer quality. I think what needs to be realized is that Bluray is likely to really bring out the flaws of the special effects. Even with Lucasarts cleaning it up this seems an unimportant update. I already have Epi I on HD DVD LOL... No more thanks.

nisallik

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008
[citation][nom]azcoyote[/nom]Wow. A lot of banter about transfer quality. I think what needs to be realized is that Bluray is likely to really bring out the flaws of the special effects. Even with Lucasarts cleaning it up this seems an unimportant update. I already have Epi I on HD DVD LOL... No more thanks.[/citation]

I'm sure all of these movies will be cleaned up and will be looking really good. They cleaned up all these movies to sell them and the most important thing is that they are ready to be altered into 3D now.

chriskrum

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
[citation][nom]maestintaolius[/nom]Heck, forget the new generation, I'm in my 30s and I'm getting sucked into The Clone Wars. Some of the plots and character development in those is better than the movies.That said, I have no interest in the blu-ray version, the story will still be the same and the ewoks will still win. Unless they plan on replacing Hayden with the clone wars CG Anakin, poor Sebastian Shaw...[/citation]

Facepalm.

Obviously this poster has know idea of the difference between 35mm film and VHS tape as he just posted the stats for VHS tape as if they were 35mm film.

And as far as the quality of 60s film vs. digital here's the coup de grace: "Lawrence of Arabia" shot in 1962 in 65 mm has image quality that far, far exceeds anything that can currently be produced in digital.

Sadly, people like the poster above have only seen it on VHS and naively believe that's what 60s film looks like.

But none of this is relevant to "Star Wars." If Han doesn't shoot first it sucks no matter what format it's in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS