StarCraft 2 MMO Mod Heads to Kickstarter

Status
Not open for further replies.

HEXiT

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
sorry state of affairs this... mods are made for the love of the game not profits. just look at skyrim... i dont see any 1 wanting money for there mods.

master9716

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
Everyone thats quiting Wow , Is moving over to Rift and not looking back , I think its bc its the only free to play mmo thats not restricted to anything . Great Game.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
They're not charging money for their mod. This will be given away for free. The Kickstarter is simply as a fundraiser to get more talented designers and developers involved as well as promote the mod and get articles like this one written to gather interest. Some mods like Falskaar for Skyrim are just add-ons and, although they take a huge investment of time and energy, simply add content to an exiting game. StarCraft Universe is a re-working of the existing SC2 engine to build an MMO from the ground up. This is more akin to a team of modders creating the upcoming Elder Scrolls Online MMO as a mod for Skyrim. When all is said and done it will still be released for free and donors will get perks such as naming in-game NPC's, creating items for the game, and other in-game related perks. You do NOT need to donate or pay money for the mod.

master9716

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
Everyone thats quiting Wow , Is moving over to Rift and not looking back , I think its bc its the only free to play mmo thats not restricted to anything . Great Game.

master9716

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
Everything Blizzard does it to be as money hungry as posible. thats why they just recolor gear and recycle , everything . All my friends started playing Rift a real open world mmo , its like EQ and Wow combined, Bgs arent as good as in wow the the pve is superior

GNCD

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
@ HEXiT This is going to be free. No profits involved.

@ g00fysmiley So what you're saying is you'll buy good DLCs. So do we. DLCs are not expansions. Expansions are nothing new. Blizzard is releasing SC2 expansions not DLCs. They are priced as expansions but with content as big as the main game.

@ master9716 Do you have the numbers?

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
It probably says this on their website somewhere, but how will this be a persistent MMO game? Will it be running through Blizzard's servers somehow? Where will the character data be stored (could be done locally, but that will be hacked badly almost immediately)?

GNCD

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
@ gm0n3y It will probably work like the other SC2 mods. I have played some that automatically saves your character data, loot and levels.

Hunter_Killers

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2003
@WithoutWeakness

You don't understand the terms surrounding it then. You cannot have any part of your map or mod locked behind any form of RMT. This includes "donator" rewards. Nothing. Every map that tried having them had to remove them or risk their map/mod being removed by Blizzard.

Hunter_Killers

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2003
@WithoutWeakness

You don't understand the terms surrounding it then. You cannot have any part of your map or mod locked behind any form of RMT. This includes "donator" rewards. Nothing. Every map that tried having them had to remove them or risk their map/mod being removed by Blizzard.

GNCD

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
@ gm0n3y

I really don't know about that. The MODs that I have played are mostly tower defense types and MOBAs. They do have the capability to save your progress. There is this one MOD that might come close. I think it is called Clownz Gladiator. You team up and go against an AI boss and its minions. Killing it rewards you with XP and loot. Basically it is like a mini Diablo game. You level up, choose you skills and gear up.

Status
Not open for further replies.