Stardock Investigates Non-Intrusive Solution to DRM

Status
Not open for further replies.

theubersmurf

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
I took their survey and looked at the new, revised "bill of rights" and it looks as if they caved a bit upon conference with some other companies.

link

If you scroll down to page 16 you can look at the original bill they intended to have gamers sign. But if you look at page seventeen, you can see the revised list...It seems to me they caved a bit.

G

If they are serious about some of the claims they make. I would buy every game they make just as a show of support for this type of thinking. On a side note, I don't "BUY" EA games any more.

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
STEAM... Very good non-intrusive way to make sure the games played are not stolen. I even like not having to fumble with finding the darn disks so that I can play my games. I like the fact that it helps keep my games patched (if I want it to) and that the games that I have registared to it can be re-downloaded if I reformat my computer. Steam rocks.

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Why settle for steam if Stardock may come up with something even better?
Currently most DRM solutions have lost their function as they don't protect software from being copied anymore, but gained the ability to prohibit software from being properly used.

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
Not sure that Stardock is offering anything new. They want to be able to register the software with a specific e-mail so that it follows the customer and not the computer. Um... my steam account does that. Steam offers many publishers. I can get Far Cry 2 (ubisoft) or some fun little game made by a smaller outfit that looks kind of neat. What are they getting at that Steam doesn't offer?

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
Publishers and developers do have a right to have their work protected...or at least to try and protect it. However the days of 'local' protection like securom and other anti-copy mechanisms are all but over. Anyone trying to stick with that model will go out of business...I'm sure gamers will make sure of that.

I think the no cd/dvd thing is great. If it wasn't for the re-install/re-activate limits I wouldn't even mind the game phoning home every now and then...so long as it isn't acting like a virus like some of these today do.

Steam is pretty close to perfect imo. I agree though that preventing something new and better because what we have works already is very ignorant.

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
I never said that we should prevent anything new. There can be improvements. I'm just not sure that I see anything new or improved with what Stardock has here. I agree that publishers have the right to protect thier creative work from theft. I just happen to like they way that Steam approaches that goal and puts in some very user friendly aspects. I like getting "special" offers. The use of some game over the weakend to try it out. Re-downloading my games after a fresh OS installation. Easy patching. Easy back-up of saved games. etc. If they want to add something new, they should work within a system that is working well. If they try to re-invent the wheel, they are basically going to split consumers into using different steam-like approaches to the same issue. I like steam, but I wouldn't want 3 steam-like applications to jugle all of my games. I would rather publishers work to consolidate their efforts. At the same time, though, I don't want to have to engage any specific software application if I don't want to. Valve games do that. I wish they wouldn't.

bjornlo

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
My take on Stardock and their methodolgy/philosphy is 100% positive. I support their goals and their actions (to date). I vote with my wallet. They get my money before companies like EA does. Ultimately a buying decision not rhetoric is what will get the other companies attention.

G

Two reasons why Steam isn't the right answer.

1) It's a virtual store + a license manager (perhaps Stardock will take away the store-front and add-pushing - unlikely - and just do a good job of the license manager).
2) It's one step further down the road to pay by the hour. Once everyone accepts that their game must check in with the mothership every time they want to play it then pay by the hour is inevitable. Why? Because there are bean counters and because it became possible.

/flash

tarzzan15

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2008
@hairycat101 Steam used to rock.
Fixed that for you. Steam now has games with the full SecuRom from the retail versions. Otherwise, I would keep using Steam.
DRM added to Steam is just way beyond necessary /sigh

lopopo

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]hairycat101[/nom]STEAM... Very good non-intrusive way to make sure the games played are not stolen. I even like not having to fumble with finding the darn disks so that I can play my games. I like the fact that it helps keep my games patched (if I want it to) and that the games that I have registared to it can be re-downloaded if I reformat my computer. Steam rocks. [/citation]

Do you work for Gabe Newell?.. you might recognize him by his new name "Benedict Newell". Steam is not intrusive? Why in the world should I have to be connected to the internet to play my games? Why in the world should I have to be subject to valves constant adds?
I would say the following to Newell and anyone who adopts radical online service: I payed 70$ on the HL2 collectors edition and it took me 3 hours to install my game. I can give a crap less about piracy. That's not my problem that's your problem sir. Do not penalize me for what others do and please do not tout you invasive BS program as some online game market Mecca.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
@flash
dude its valve. thats unlikely to happen...

but one thing i don't like about steam is that you can play the game only on one machine at a time... i mean i wished they came out with like a guest pass with limited functionality so at least my brother could play the games i bought on his computer, maybe evn at the same time...something like xbox live maybe?

and steam still supports drm, but they TELL you before you get it... look at the specs of crysis/warhead

and i agree with aenoix... of course they games have to be better than sub-par, but if they weren't good, i wouldn't pirate them anyway

crockdaddy

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
I happen to like steam. Why, valve through its continued support of games have been able to provide for me "value added services" via steam. Lose my CD key to Day of Defeat, no big deal .. Steam already knows who I am. Now while I say this, in general I dislike DRM ... I buy 6 to 15 games a year. The guys whom do not ... well they are not encumbered. If I have to have DRM then at the moment steam works better for me than say SECUROM.

As an aside, I took the Stardock survey as well and enjoyed the feedback. It left me with a strong positive experience with Stardock, which was already positive due to my ownership of SINS and Galatici CIV II. Smart move on their part.

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
quick note on the adds... I've never found them that big of a deal. They pop up on when the program starts and if you don't want to see the "special" (or not really that special) offers, you just hit the X button. I know that some of us who are on the computers aren't in the best of shape, but I have never been worn out by having to move the mouse to exit out of the special offers window. As far as Steam having or not having DRM goes, Steam is a form of DRM. Digital rights management. What do you think that Stardock is trying to do? They are trying to establish one licence to one individual. I don't think that they are wanting family members to play at that same time and under the same licence as you. They aren't trying to sell family licences. I suppose, you could argue that sharing the same screen and hooked up to the same box, that consoles have a benifit of having multiple users per licence. That is an inherant fault, then, of PC gaming.

bf2gameplaya

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
Keep in mind:

1) Steam must run, on-line or off-line
2) Many Steam games *have* DRM such as SecuROM, in addition to the DRM requirement of Steam itself.
3) Stardock's Impulse does not need to run, on line or offline.
4) You don't (always) need Impulse to auto/update

Of course Steam does oodles more than Impulse, but fundamentally Stardock's methodology is better for gamers in terms of transparency and ease of use.

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
bf2gameplaya makes some good points. To clarify, I don't think anyone said that Steam takes the place of all other DRM's that may be in place with a product. I was just arguing that the use of an account does tie the products bought to that account and therefore serves the purpose of reducing piracy… while at the same time, as crockdaddy, pointed out keeps track of serial numbers for you.

As an aside, does anyone know if you get SecuROM rootkits installed if the game is purchaced and downloaded through Steam? I bought Bioshock through Steam because it was at a good price (for a limited time only, of course. Now I am wondering if with Bioshock I got junk.

that_aznpride101

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2005
Regardless of what people think of Stardock, I have a lot of respect for this small software company. Unlike gargantuan companies like EA, they a very inclusive company and actually listen to their customers and continue to provide updates, even for old games like GalCiv2. Just a few days ago, they released the results of their polls, their thoughts, the future of the company, and their thoughts on DRM. Now that's something you'll never see EA do for their customers: get people involved. Their policy on DRM and them being against SecuROM shows they put in a lot of trust in the customers have in fact made many loyalists (including me). If you read their forums, you'll people raving about them. One of them in fact, downloaded a pirated copy of GalCiv2 but was so impressed by the company's attention on both the customer and making quality games that he ended up deleting his pirated copy and bought the game from a retail store. For a software company to make a person change like that, that's impressive.

If there's a solution to this whole DRM/SecuROM fiasco, I believe the model Stardock uses will be the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.