Starting a home theater.

thestrangebrew

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
So I took the plunge into the home theater realm by buying a Bose Cinemate Series II system. It's 2.1, I know, not a true 5.1 surround sound system, and there are tons of Bose haters out there. Truth is, at least at the store, they sounded awesome and fit my needs (actually the wife's because she didn't want big speakers and wires all over the place). However, I'm a little worried I let impulse get the best of me with this purchase. After looking at various home theater and audio forums, it appears this system is mediocre at best based on the opinions of those other forums. What do you guys know about the Cinemate II series? I've read that these aren't really futureproof, ie you can't really add anything on to them, and that this system isn't blu ray supported whatever that means. If this system is mediocre, for around $600, what would you guys suggest? At the store, this system seemed to emulate surround sound pretty decently, so if there's something out there that wold do the same for cheaper without sacrificing quality, I'm all for it.

On a side note, if I return the Bose, I'm looking at the yamaha rx-c467 or 367 receiver model. Maybe a good pair of speakers and sub would meet my budget? Thanks guys.

EDIT rx v467/367

Solution
The smaller the speaker is, the poorer the sound quality. Find some speakers that fit the size of your room.
If you have a very small area, the (cute little bose) little speakers may work just fine. If you live in an apartment with neighbors, the little speakers or headphones may work just fine.
But basically, you are paying a lot for the label, the money is not being spent on sound quality.
If you live in a separate house, Klipsch horns may work just fine. It's all according to what sounds better to you. Specs and reviews are generally meaningless hype.
The smaller the speaker is, the poorer the sound quality. Find some speakers that fit the size of your room.
If you have a very small area, the (cute little bose) little speakers may work just fine. If you live in an apartment with neighbors, the little speakers or headphones may work just fine.
But basically, you are paying a lot for the label, the money is not being spent on sound quality.
If you live in a separate house, Klipsch horns may work just fine. It's all according to what sounds better to you. Specs and reviews are generally meaningless hype.

Solution