Starting a LiteCoin Mine

Aiden Thursby

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013
So I will be buying an AntMiner S3 but I have no clue about the wattage usage I know this will be less than or equal to 1000 watts, AntMiners are like little servers they have 1 function and that is to mine so they do it alot faster than a 30k gaming rig I will be buying an ASIC for LiteCoins but there is 1 slight problem and that is their power usage I do not want to run ul the electricity bill and I think I can hook them up to a PSU and make the required electricitu less then use renewable energy such as solar or wind power to power them is this possible?

Solution
A powersupply creates the power needed. Your thousand watt psu will only make 40w if thats all thats being called for.
If your device uses 40w of power then your PSU will use 50w total. 40w delivered to your device and 10w wasted due to 80% efficiency (50w x80%=40w)

The 1000w PSU is just a huge waste for this. It will never come close to the power it can deliver, sitting there outputting 40w...
You're much better off using a power brick and pc power adapter for this device.

At 90% efficiency there would only be 4.4w of wasted power.

Aiden Thursby

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013

Would the power supplies drastically change the required voltage? And wind is super reliable when you live in F***ing YORKSHIRE! lmao

USAFRet

Illustrious
"1 slight problem" is THE major problem.

After buying the system to do this, and then purchasing and installing a wind or solar power array large enough to run it...how many years out will you recoup your initial investment?

You have done this calculation, right?

Aiden Thursby

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013
I have seen that you can make wind power generators fairly cheap and I just saw a vid where a guy using an 80 plus 1000w psu for his s5 cuts the power usage to just under 40 watts meaning I will need 70 for the safe side I have seen the ruturns and when paying electricity returns are bad

Maybe a little, if you get a very efficient PSU like seasonic or super flow then you will save a little bit of energy. Your post is hard to read which is why I was confused.

But USAFRet is right, liteCoin mining and especially bitcoin mining is not worth it anymore. This isn't 2010 when you could mine with a CPU.

USAFRet

Illustrious

That guys 'vid' means nothing.
How much wattage will your system actually use?

If his system only uses 40 watts, then a 1000 watt PSU is simply a huge waste of money. There is no magic doodad that will cut the power usage, other than having a system that simply uses less power.

I'm thinking electricity does not work the way you think it does.

Aiden Thursby

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013

No it uses 40 watts when transformed by the psu the initial usage is near 1000 watts I am trying to find cheaper ways to run it without the backlash on electricity costs

There IS no way. If there was, it would be employed by every major manufacturer in a bid to advertise the power savings that THEIR units have. Anything REALLY worth doing, gets done by the big boys. They have no interest in promoting power consumption. They're not in bed with the utility companies, so you can be sure if there was some gadget means of reducing power consumption, it would be in use already.

popatim

Splendid
A powersupply creates the power needed. Your thousand watt psu will only make 40w if thats all thats being called for.
If your device uses 40w of power then your PSU will use 50w total. 40w delivered to your device and 10w wasted due to 80% efficiency (50w x80%=40w)

The 1000w PSU is just a huge waste for this. It will never come close to the power it can deliver, sitting there outputting 40w...
You're much better off using a power brick and pc power adapter for this device.

At 90% efficiency there would only be 4.4w of wasted power.

Solution