States Are Trying to Force Internet Sales Tax

Status
Not open for further replies.

gekko668

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Looks like several states are trying to milk the e-retailer but in the end the retailer is going to pass it on to the consumers.

MotionMan

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Can you imagine being a small business owner /etailer 5 or 10 years from now? Having to file 50 different sales tax returns monthly or quarterly or even yearly is kind of gruesome for an entrepreneur.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
I don't see that as doing anything helpful with this development. It's enough to make you think that none of the people writing laws have ever taken econ 101.

hopiamani

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
[citation][nom]gekko668[/nom]Looks like several states are trying to milk the e-retailer but in the end the retailer is going to pass it on to the consumers.[/citation]

And consumers can pass it on by not buying.

How much in sales tax revenue are they really hoping to get? Do they really think that was the solution to the enormous budget shortfalls?

I just wish they would cut spending more.

AMW1011

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
"Amazon has taken a disappointing – and completely unjustified – step of ending its relationship with associates. While Amazon is blaming a new state law for its action, the fact is that Amazon is simply trying to avoid compliance with Colorado law and is unfairly punishing Colorado businesses in the process."

HAHAHAHAHA

Hypocrisy at its god damn finest.

Sorry Bill Ritter, you've just passed a bill that is sure to kill some small-time etailers in your state, you know the best type of etailer, so you shouldn't be bitching at Amazon at all.

I'll fight this one in my state if it ever gets put on the table, tooth and nail.

lasaldude

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
I hate greedy little fucking people. i hate buying stuff and having to pay taxes. If i could get a summary of where my taxes go individually, then wouldn't bitch. it likes paying insurance, its just money down the drain. I specifically buy from amazon and newegg for the no tax and usually no shipping.

G

May God bless you Mr. Ritter and your state. You'll need it cause your businesses won't be getting any of my money!
Politicians, enough said.

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
[citation][nom]hopiamani[/nom]And consumers can pass it on by not buying.How much in sales tax revenue are they really hoping to get? Do they really think that was the solution to the enormous budget shortfalls? I just wish they would cut spending more.[/citation]

Cut spending more? The tax situation in Georgia is so bad that the State is raping the education system. Of course, this is mostly due to idiots in power and wasteful spending, but that does nothing to help those victimized by this bullshit. The numbers speak for themselves.

Education has already been piliged enough, but Georgia is cutting another $1.3 billion USD($1 billion from K-12 and $300 million from higher education). The educators in public education have said that the cuts will hurt them, but will kill higher education. They are absolutely correct.

As a student in Georgia, my tuition continues to sharply increase, while the quality of my education is decreasing. This is wrong on many levels, but what is more wrong is what the legislature is letting go into effect.

Governor Purdue is getting around $9 million USD for some fucking horse stables, but he is letting the State kill education. I can promise you that Georgia is not the only state that is screwing over so many of its citizens. While I do enjoy the tax-free purchases at Amazon and Newegg, they are beyond stupid to believe they can avoid sale-tax. Those two companies can afford to process sale-tax for all customer's state governments and even the local governments. The problem will be with the smaller retailers.

I believe there should be a cap at which a state can demand sales tax. If a company is raking in billions in sales, then they should have to pay. The hardworking citizens in the United States are not immune from paying their share of taxes, so neither should corporations in the United States. If they do not like it, then stop doing business.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
The politicians are not doing their jobs to use taxes to run their states (or country). They are looking for the easy way out- by collecting more money from things like lotteries, toll roads, and taxing businesses in other states. They want the people in their state to pay more taxes, they want to use the taxes themselves. They may or may not collect more taxes because the out of state businesses can terminate their in-state affiliates, but they have already affected the jobs and incomes of the residents of their states.

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
The more they tax the less they will get. In the end they may just get that pound of flesh. I have already accepted that this country is long gone however I can't take it no more with the fat cats on top sucking the working classes of every thing while the bankers get "their" bonuses. The monetary system is nothing more than a system of enslavement compared to it was a hundred years ago when every one had a chance in life to make something of them selves while now if you are not rich you're screwed. Just go look it in the states alone 40% of all the wealth is in the pockets of 5-10% of the population. The average CEO takes home $500 dollars to every one dollar the average income earner makes. This country is ripe for total collapse and a violent revolution. As in the days of the French revolution "off with their heads".

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]montezuma[/nom]The tax situation in Georgia is so bad that the State is raping the education system. Of course, this is mostly due to idiots in power and wasteful spending, ...Education has already been piliged enough, but Georgia is cutting another $1.3 billion USD($1 billion from K-12 and $300 million from higher education). [/citation]

While I do agree most of your point, but do you think how much this "new" tax are going back to the education system instead of going to the big spending black holes the states are having?

G

They can do it with sales tax, but they can't with MJ? Nice job, states.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]pharge[/nom]While I do agree most of your point, but do you think how much this "new" tax are going back to the education system instead of going to the big spending black holes the states are having?[/citation]
Same with New York...taking from education, nursing homes, hospitals, etc.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
"Amazon has taken a disappointing – and completely unjustified – step of ending its relationship with associates. While Amazon is blaming a new state law for its action, the fact is that Amazon is simply trying to avoid compliance with Colorado law and is unfairly punishing Colorado businesses in the process."

WTF?! LMFAO!!!

G

Just think... income tax, sales tax, property tax, registration tax, fuel tax, disposal tax, service tax, internet tax, and soon health tax. Anyone think government is really looking out for us poor working slobs?

How much longer can the working man survive the liberal plan of FREE everythiing for everyone regardless of how hard "they" don't work? I work hard, why take more and more of my paycheck? I say there should be a politician tax!!!

gh360

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]Tax and Spend by Barack Obamahttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK5hrKHrFzIAll the while the average man and woman who now has ended up sleeping in tents, besides the rail road tracks or in the woods.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eih67rlGNhUJust some food for thought[/citation]

Do you know the difference between a federal and a state tax?

Status
Not open for further replies.