SteelSeries built in keyboard for msi gt72 f,g and space periodically working

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBreakThingss

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017
My spacebar f and g key will work on and off and do double key inserts etc. I uninstalled all the drivers and reinstalled them however it still has the issue. I have tried to debug by removing drivers until it works again then the issues arises with no drivers but the actual keyboard itself installed. This issue does happen in safe mode as well so definitely a driver issue, i have taken another keyboard and it works fine, also when i reinstall the drivers and on restart works for about 30 mins returning to a state where you have to hold the key down until it sprays out fs or gs to work for about 30sec and die again. Could anyone help me thanks.

When you uninstalled and then reinstalled the drivers, did you make sure to reboot in between? If not, I would try that. Makes a large difference.

Also, if it happens in "Safe Mode" as well, it could be the keyboard. Especially since you said another one works fine.

IBreakThingss

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017

Its definatly driver related but I sort of fixed it. I had to remove the windows default drivers and install the Steelseries engine before the restart, so windows wouldnt go ahead and install them before the engine installed its drivers. Its working 80% of the time as it should but the spacebar will cut out on occasion and pressing f and g gets it working again. Its a very weird issue tbh, never come across it before and it developed out of the blue? The issue probably developed from a driver update from steelseries combined with window sourced driver update. As the pattern of the uninstall reinstall is important to get it working again. It might just go to shit all over again after restart but hopefully that's not the case.

IBreakThingss

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017
Yeah when i fully uninstall and leave the legacy drivers it works so i guess ill have to miss out on the LEDs for now sadly.

Rivest

Prominent
Mar 17, 2017
Hi Ibreakthings, I had the same problem except with a GE62 laptop, my keys "k, 5, 7, F5, delete and ." were working sporadically. Sometimes they were unresponsive but most times they would repeat twice or thrice on a single press (I think it's called keyboard chatter).

Having troubleshoot this problem for a week now, including foolishly disassembling my laptop and reattaching the keyboard ribbon to no avail (this means it's not loose ribbon). I had only managed to fix this issue after reading your post by doing a system restore dating back to the last windows update (around 10th March) and re-updating windows update.

Now my laptop is working fine, I'm running on SSE (v3.9.12) and their latest drivers and my keyboard is functioning perfectly without unresponsiveness or duplicate key inserts.

I supposed I have to also thank you for linking this issue to windows update because I have absolutely no idea how and when it started. I'm not sure if this will be a fix for you since you've posted this issue 2 weeks before the windows update but I hope it works out for you.

Gulag Monk

Prominent
Apr 2, 2017
I have the exact same problem. The same keys are not working properly.
Has your issue been resolved fully? I can't seem to get mine fixed.

pablosa92

Prominent
Jan 23, 2018

stevewijns

Prominent
Dec 2, 2017
I've send it in for repairs. They blame it on water damage .... yeah right, they see some sweat marks around the Arrow buttons! (far away from the particular keys), blame it on the water, and charge me for the full 149 euros to replace the keyboard (while it was still under warranty).

I saw the picture they've send me as 'proof'. It's a joke, but what can i do right?! Never again an MSI for me, i feel cheated on.

senahidmuratovic

Prominent
Jan 28, 2018

Oh, my...I also have the same problem with "f" "g" and "space". There is no way it could be a water damage, as from day one I have never had one drop of anything spilled on my laptop (plus, I have silicon protection on the keyboard and it looks brand new on my GT72S that bought just over a year ago).

Is MSI really this bad? I invested a lot in this laptop (I put 2TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD in place of HDD and 2 of 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 SSDs and added 32GB of RAM -now 64GB). If I hadn't done anything about it, I would throw this piece of garbage in the dumpster as is).

But I still hope someone might find a solution by visiting this thread regularly.

stevewijns

Prominent
Dec 2, 2017

I've had alot of troubles with my laptop from the start. Never again an msi for me. And i'm staying away from steelseries as well, that keyboard is rubbish.

vadicheg

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018
GT72VR 7RE here purchased less than 6 months ago and exactly same problem here. I'm not sure if it's software or hardware problem, and I couldn't find any information on how to fix it. Will have to service my laptop. No chance I'm going to pay for this.

This is my first MSI laptop and the last. Same with steelseries keyboard. The brands can't even make basic things.

Apr 7, 2018

guys i found the solution i got the same axac problem after i do windows update f g and space key not working the solution is you have to disable windows update to update your drivers aftert that restart your computer after that go to device manager and go keyboard there is 3 driver on you keyboard 2 hıd driver and 1 steelseries engine i remove fist hıd dirver i deleted it and now it works brilliantly

Apr 16, 2018
Just wanted to say that I, too, have he exact same issue with the F, G, and Spacebar keys, on my GT72S.

When I get home I'll update whether the "solution" above works, since my warranty expired.

Apr 17, 2018
Hi there guys, I got the same model gt72 around 18 months ago. Exactly the same problem (f, g and spacebar working intermittently). I tried uninstalling the HID drivers and then installing the steelseries engine but anything seems to work. Quite sure is drivers related as I always provided the laptop exquisite treatment.

Quite annoying all of this... thinking about installing Windows 7...

Apr 16, 2018
Hello, just wanted to update, that the reinstalling drivers thing did NOT work for me! I downloaded and installed the newest SteelSeries Engine software, and I uninstalled both HID drivers under Keyboard in Device Manager.

First off, the SteelSeries thing had TWO icons in my icon tray now, and one of them, which probably was the original one there earlier, had a red outline telling me the No Devuce was detected. The keyboard lights still worked, however.

After a restart, they didn't work, and problem didn't get fixed.

Luckily I made a restore point before downloading the new drivers, and restored my PC to its old/original driver settings.

My F, G, and Spacebar keys still don't work, but at least my keyboard works again.

Does ANYONE have any solution to this??

I am truly desperate..

Status
Not open for further replies.