Stereo System to Complete the Room

77Slumber77

Estimable
Mar 2, 2014
So a few months back I purchased a new Lg OLED tv and since then I have felt I have been lacking something, this something is a sound system.

As the holiday season creeps upon us I ask you Tomshardware forum members, what audio system should I purchase to complete this home theatre?

My Price range is sitting around $100-$200 or something near there. Also even if it isn't throw it in, I am hoping to pick it up on sale around cyber Monday or before Christmas.

Thank you to those who contribute!

Solution
Given your limited budget, if you go new, a soundbar might be better than any home theater in a box system.
If you go used get a older surround sound receiver, without HDMI but with the optical input mentioned above (that keeps the price very low), and a pair of speakers to start. Add the sub, center, and surrounds in that order. The center speakers should match the front pair. If you can get matching surrounds fine but it's not critical so spend the least on these. The sub doesn't have to match and there is no reason it has to. Try not to get a bandpass subwoofer as they have the worst quality of bass.
With that kind of budget, you are looking at one of those HOME THEATER SYSTEM, everything you need including speakers, just go into Amazon, and limit your search for $200 max. Just make sure whatever you pick, it has an OPTICAL IN so it can take sound from TV (assuming TV has an optical out).

Not something that I would ever recommend to anybody but oh well, you got a budget and that's that.

DarkSable

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
Honestly... your best option is almost never going to be buying something new when we're talking about stereo components.

If what you want is GOOD sound and you don't want surround (Which on your budget will sound awful anyways), I'd start scouring craigslist.

Given your limited budget, if you go new, a soundbar might be better than any home theater in a box system.
If you go used get a older surround sound receiver, without HDMI but with the optical input mentioned above (that keeps the price very low), and a pair of speakers to start. Add the sub, center, and surrounds in that order. The center speakers should match the front pair. If you can get matching surrounds fine but it's not critical so spend the least on these. The sub doesn't have to match and there is no reason it has to. Try not to get a bandpass subwoofer as they have the worst quality of bass.

Solution