Steve Jobs on Support for iPhone 2G: ''Sorry, No.''

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
One of these days celluar providers will be mailing you an upgraded phone every year, then every six months, who knows where it will end. But rather than wait for you to decide to upgrade at your leisure (decision), they'll build in the price of upgrades completely into your service plan and all phones will be free. Why would they do this, because it would guarantee a higher revenue stream each month and really consumer choice is the enemy of corporations.

danimal_the_animal

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
Whats Steves e-mail address? I want to know if at least skype can run in the background on my 3g with this update....

Why cant steve just come out and say that the 3g wont support multitasking because IT ONLY HAS 128 meg OF RAM!

one more thing

STEVE......WEAR A BELT FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!

how could he not wear a belt during a presentation like this!

SO TACKY!

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
Unless Jobs sent a video of himself responding to this guy, then I doubt it was actually Steve Jobs that responded. It was probably his assistant's assistant that responded. That, or Steve's Windows-based mobile phone has started to make decisions for the company now.

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I still think the "no support" option is b*lls**t. Take the original xbox. I bet Microsoft will still sue the pants off of XBMC if they release prebuilt binaries. Why can't they just let the people who paid good money for this console do as they please? Is there going to come a day when because a company considers something "too old", that they are going to implement a network killswitch or an internal expiration date. I bet these things are completely secret and don't get printed on the carton.

Then you got people who are at the opposite end of the spectrum like John Carmack who benefits by open sourcing his old stuff.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]matt87_50[/nom]I disagree, I think it should be the same as the PC arena. why do people insist that smartphones are so different from PCs? they sure cost a hell of alot. I know it mightn't look like they do, with them being subsidized by your mobile contract, but they do! I think stuff like this, and charging ipod touch owners for a "new" os every year is lousy.[/citation]

Because they are so different. Just because a phone can do similar functions of a personal computer and is as expensive as a personal computer does not make it a personal computer. You don't hold your computer up to your face and make calls.

Also, you flip flopped on your own argument. You start off wanting to treat smart phones like personal computers then you say it is "lousy" that iPod Touch owners have to pay for new operating systems. When is the last time you got a free (legal) operating system upgrade on your computer at home?

The main issue here with me is that it doesn't appear that Apple will be supporting the iPhone 2G in any fashion which would not only mean no major OS updates but no minor bug fixes or patches either. It's not abnormal at all to phase out software support for older platforms but you can't completely abandon a three year old product. That's messed up. It's cool to stop delivering major OS upgrades but you have to keep working to patch security issues or you are leaving your customers vulnerable.

thackstonns

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
every one is forgetting the hardware is about the same between the iphone and the iphone 3g. Look it up there really isnt much difference. This is just planned obsolescence from apple, to make people upgrade.

G

ive had my cell phone for 4 years now, works a charm... i expect to keep using it for another 2 years (though i fear the battery might not keep it's charge for that long), it's not a smart phone, i dont think it will play cysis, im pretty sure it barely has 0.5 mb of ram but strangely enough it makes and takes phone calls just fine, i even benched marked it, it answers the phones calls the moment i press the answer button, that would be fast in my books. i brought it fully unlocked and unbranded for $100..... i wished i can find another phone like it....

i asked my friend who has an iPhone what does it do with it, he says surf the web and make phone calls..... apparently thats whats called a smartphone....

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
When steve jobs retires the healing of apple's image can begin... too bad he wont retire because hes a fascist control freak who lead apple from the biggest threat that IBM had to a tiny company that only graphic artists and college stoners could get any use out of. Good job steve youre a credit to the 60's hipster generation that you represent... dont let your company get too big then you cant fight "the man".

mj4358

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Can anyone show me a major Cellphone maker who offers OS updates on their phones other than Apple? Nokia, Sony, Samsung, Motorola all make you buy a new phone to get the new OS. Even the vaulted Google forced its customers to buy Nexus 1 toget the new OS. Apple , to say the least treats the iPhone like a platform.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
Wait, let me get this straight. Apple releases iPhone OS 2.0 and 3.0 since the original iPhone launch. BOTH were free upgrades. And you want it to be like the desktop world? If that's the case, 2.0 and 3.0 would have been a paid upgrade. Win Vista and Win 7 were both paid upgrades.

Apple GAVE AWAY two operating system point increases for COMPLETELY FREE and you actually think it is unfair that after this, they aren't offering OS 4.0 to first gen customers?

Also, you flip flopped on your own argument. You start off wanting to treat smart phones like personal computers then you say it is "lousy" that iPod Touch owners have to pay for new operating systems. When is the last time you got a free (legal) operating system upgrade on your computer at home?

I agree that you should have to pay for a NEW operating system, but as far as I can tell, apple is yet to release an ACTUALLY NEW operating system for their iphone! these "new os's" have been minor updates! mostly adding functionality that SHOULD have been there from the start! and why should we be paying for advances that we already paid for when we bought our desktop operating systems!? why has it all gone backwards!? its still just a computer!! I mean hell! all they did was take OSX and shoehorn it onto the iphone! then hide most of the functionality, SUCH AS MULTITASKING, and then release it as though "ooo look at our innovative new features" hoping that we will forget that we already saw this shit on our PCs 15 years ago just because the screen is smaller!!! just incrementing a version number does not make something NEW or BETTER!! I absolutely agree that I would have been just as pissed off if I had gone XP, vista, win 7. but XP has been going for nearly 10 years now! vista was radically different, and I do think it was unfair to make vista users pay for win 7. but win 7 is again much faster and better than vista (atleast as vista was at launch) as well as implementing the UI upgrades that vista should have got! going from XP to win 7 is like night and day! and it represents 10 years between OS upgrades! THAT is the way it should be! hell my friend has told me that his iphone 3G has only gotten SLOWER with all the OS updates!

some perspective: the psp has been out for longer than apple has been in the mobile industry, I don't think they have had to pay to get firmware updates. the original PSP is freely made compatible with the very latest games? and look at all of the features added to the PS3, FOR FREE! and lets not forget for all those people who said it was too expensive: ITS CHEAPER THAN AN IPHONE! (not that I'm a sony fanboy, the same is equally true for the 360, that has been around even longer than the ps3)

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
One of reasons I dont buy anything fro Apple. They are terible company using crapy DRM and seling overpriced HW.
I would understand cutting out support 3 year after production of HW stops, but its not that long since EOP for iphones, it was just last year so if i am customer that bought iphone last year I would either demand free upgrade, or full refund.

G

Well ... it's not as if Apple had made a lot of money with those early iphone adopters ... (3 years of store sellings).
HTC does much more money ! They can upgrade their phones 5 years (even if there is no cash flow after the initial phone purchase).

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
Nothing wrong with this, many companies do this. It annoys the users, but from a more progressive sort of view, it's a good thing. Look at IE6, we're all dying for that to go to hell!

jamie_macdonald

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
How this suprises anyone, i don't know...

...you do realize they didnt put hardware that was commonly available (and expected) in each revision of the i-phone to increase sales,

Continuing to support and update has never been in their buisness plan i assure you (that would cost them money and save you some, not very apple at all!).

More news stating the obvious... but hey someone will "bodge it up" no-doubt :)

VWXYZ

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
Didn't we all see this coming? Apple might be a bit quick to cut its ties, but you can't keep supporting hardware forever.

I think this is a natural evolution. More than three years after it first came out, its dead, your exclusivity has ended if you bought the phone.
Go buy a new iPhone, go buy an Android, go by a simple phone, or (gasp! this is an option too?!) live with 3.1

Status
Not open for further replies.