Steve Jobs on Support for iPhone 2G: ''Sorry, No.''

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamie_macdonald

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
[citation][nom]VWXYZ[/nom]Didn't we all see this coming? Apple might be a bit quick to cut its ties, but you can't keep supporting hardware forever.I think this is a natural evolution. More than three years after it first came out, its dead, your exclusivity has ended if you bought the phone. Go buy a new iPhone, go buy an Android, go by a simple phone, or (gasp! this is an option too?!) live with 3.1[/citation]

"natuaral evolution" would have inclined they put the allready existing good hardware inside the device when it was released wouldn't it?

It's the bit by bit slow release of "old hat" technology that ensure i will not buy an apple device (if they made a killer one with ALL the tech available on release i might actually consider (its nto a bad bad device but the principle of slow trickeling update is ridiculous and wasteful, economicaly and environmentally. it should be banned!).

reddragon72

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
More proof that Apple sucks. I cannot believe that people are still buying there super managed crap. The Iphone came out a year and a half after the Xbox360 and the 360 is still receiving new games and hardware. Way to support your equipment. And for those that say it is older hardware your wrong, the only differences between the 2G and 3G is the connection speed(wont hamper programs) the Compass(not needed unless you like knowing which way but by no means a "needed" item for applications) and GPS(again only certain parts of certain programs use this and even then it is not need except for a VERY small, less then 1%, of the programs out there) So why is it considered outdated.... Cause Jobs wants your money... And here all you Ifanboys thought that he was your friend...

frost7500

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
I own a iPhone 3G and I love it (cost me $50). This is hard to believe though. 3 years old and cya?? Like a previous poster said ... the hardware for the 2g and the 3g is basically if not exactly the same. There is no "holding back innovation" or "insert random pulled from my fanboy ass" going on here. It is quite simple. Apple wants you to buy a new phone. Period. The arrogance of this company is truly impressive.

Ciuy

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
i`m so happy Apple spits on all the customers that where dumb enough to test the first iPhones :))

Now suffer .........

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I honestly don't have a problem with this. Three years for a cell phone? I get a new one every two years with my plan for free. If I wanted a more full featured device I'd pay the premium for it and others do as well. Phones just aren't meant to physically survive for more than a couple of years.

sceen311

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]christarp[/nom]Way to screw over your customers apple.[/citation]
Yeah, selling phones that work for 3 yrs, then even without software updates, continue to work. Yeah so screwed.

Oh then if I want new features, I have to buy a new phone!! Damn you!! All new Features should be free!! even if my old hardware might muddle through multitasking, it'd be a heck of a lot better then a smooth running OS without multitasking(which I've been perfectly fine with over the last 3 years.)

I can't believe they provided free software updates over the life of the warranty... completely unreasonable!

Gosh, now if I get a new iPhone, I have to put up with a Video Camera, faster processor, and more storage space... man this is so unfair!!

/wipesarcasmfrommouth

onekill

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Hey, When I got my first iPhone, it was awesome, then I got the 3G, and now I have the 3GS. The fact that phasing out a 3 year old product is natural. Look at ANY 3 year old cell phone by companys such as Nokia. Do they update there material for there 3 year old phones? Il answer that for you. No. The fact that Apple has been keeping it alive for THIS long is awesome. I was expecting it to be cut off for 3.0, but they kept it going. There comes a point where you have to phase out the lowest denomiatior and move forward. If you don't, then the tech industry wouldnt move anywhere. If you want to have all the features of 4.0, your contract is up, go get a new phone or wait till the new ones come out. They will be subsidized and you can get one cheap. If you don't care, then stick to your old phone. Worst comes to worse if you buy a new iPhone, you can give that old iPhone to your kid who mabey doesnt have one. I bet they would love having one, as its still an amazing peice of hardware, even for being 3 years old.

G

i would happily upgrade a $80 phone once every 3 years, a $500 phone (we talking first gen rob you blind unsubsidized prices here) not so, at over 5 times the cost it should have a shelf life of at least twice as long if not 5 times....

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
it will just be hacked.

A 5 year old device like the dell axim's currently support windows mobile 6.5

and 1 developer is currently working on making windows phone 7 work with it (though you will have to solder in a new ram chip for windows phone 7)

hardware rarely changes enough for you to lose software support, most of these support problems are just to force the user into buying new hardware.

when you spend a lot on a phone you at least want it to be supported for a while.

G

How quickly Apple has become Microsoft. Their products have reached so many people that any good business decision that cuts out fat for the good of the whole is met with uproar.

G

By steadily giving negative comments and lousy products for consumer (which getting smarter and smarter from day to day btw).
Apple big ship is on journey to crash. They basically the same hardware, with simple twist (slightly faster proc and 3G support. It's not hard to make older iphones to work on the new OS.

What makes a company great, is not just making huge sales and big fortune, but consumer satisfaction should be on their number 1 list,if they want to last for century. They should have learn it fast from now on, or they will learn it in the 'hard' way.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
I can understand the need to phase out older hardware, but 3 years seems a little premature to me, especially since these people shelled out for unsubsidized phones.

That is one of the many reasons I refuse to buy any Apple products. While I like some of their design ideas, (certainly not their technological cutting edge), I usually wait for something that is truly superior. As far as I am concerned, phone services are still way overpriced and offer too little.

On another note, just imagine if after 3 years Microsoft stopped supporting a product, the media would nearly pound him to death. Mr Jobs, the US media poster "genius" and in house con-artist, is fully aware that the media is ready to cover-up all his lies and deceits. As far as I am concerned being un-Apple is a moral stance every self-respecting individual ought to adopt. I am not suggesting that people flock to Microsoft. Clearly, the means exist for people to further liberate themselves from over-reaching corporate hegemons bent on eroding their freedom through digital rights management and proprietary hardware. Apple is bad news for freedom, and the sooner people realize that the sooner they will be on their way to freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.