Steve Perlman Releases Whitepaper on Wireless DIDO Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

tech lover

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
He used the wrong version of Shannon's law. Shannon's celebrated results are a lot more general than what he showed. He just used the wrong formula to predict the performance.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]sseyler[/nom]Why do these articles refuse to explain HOW DIDO works? Does it not?[/citation]

probably because it's still in the "patent pending" stage lol :p

tburns1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Watch wireless providers try to slam this shut. This might upset tiered bandwith internet plans. They'd have no justification to throttle a user's access if they didn't have to for infrastructure reasons. A level playing field is just not a republican ideal.

G

I read the PDF whitepaper; interesting concept but I remain unconvinced this will work (i.e. scale to real-world network environments). Essentially it's using the distributed network of APs to perform a kind of "beam-forming" rather than using a centralised phased-array antenna to achieve the same. I believe in practice that intractible issues of multipath and constantly time-varying channel parameters (due to passage of people, vehicles, multipath effects and the like) will result in a far less optimal outcome than conventional beam-forming where at least all signals originate from a single point and are subject to the same channel variance and multipath effects.

I have also seen no evidence in the paper to support a claim that the DIDO signal encoding algorithm can scale to produce a simultaneously correct "superposed" signal at EVERY receiver station as the amount of information down the channel increases (i.e. multiple downloads) and the number of participant receivers becomes large. I have not performed analysis but I find this idea to be extremely counter-intuitive. There are no free lunches in wireless comms.

I wish Perlman all the best and would love nothing more than to be proved wrong on each point above :)

G

I read the paper. It doesn't require an electrical engineering degree to understand (just common sense and a basic tech level). Basically, from my understanding, DIDO works differently than wireless. Wi-fi send a wave form to your device and as such many wi-fi access point that are close sending wave form in the same frequency will create interference and reduce your bandwidth (speed?).

DIDO works by offloading the wave form creation to a server. Basically the server calculates the precise waveform needed so that if you have 5 access point broadcasting, when all those 5 wave form hit your device the overlap will create a perfect waveform for you (and the same happens with other devices).

It is very interesting and I think it will work... This is just mind-boggling!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.