Still Running Windows XP? Here's What to Do When Support Ends

Status
Not open for further replies.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Still sounds like scaremongering to me.Install some anti-virus, don't open e-mail attachments or click links in email, don't click any links in a web page that say "your computer is at risk" or "download" and you'll be fine - it's common sense, and nothing a few minutes of genuine education can't fix.If all of these articles and "experts" are to be believed, my Windows 2000 Server and Windows 98 SE boxes should be beckoning the apocalypse with their crazy, malware-riddled existence.Hell, I still USE my Windows 2000 Server.

technogiant

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Sandboxie and free avg have kept my 10year old pc running xp fairly bullet proof so far....will be upgrading to new hardware soon so will probably go win7...but will keep the sandoxie/avg team onboard.

Arktonoid

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
Your best bet would be to install Ubuntu operating system. It runs a lot faster on machines currently running XP and it's a Linux based operating system and still has the GUI look and feel of XP.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Your best bet would be to install Ubuntu operating system. It runs a lot faster on machines currently running XP and it's a Linux based operating system and still has the GUI look and feel of XP.
Yeah, because people still on XP are really techno-savvy enough to install and operate Linux, regardless of how much Ubuntu may look and feel like Windows. Or, it's a business stuck in their ways and never upgraded because of logistics and proprietary software.

TrowaBarton

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
"If you're looking at a five-year-old PC and you try to put Windows 7 on it," Kay said, "it's probably not going to work very well."Uhm... Windows 7 came out 5 years ago....

Ukmoe

Estimable
Mar 25, 2014
For those that are fine with using XP rather than upgrading,what about keeping XP as a main system, but with no internet access?Then run Win 7 as a virtual system, and access internet, email etc on that, with tight security on any file shares etc between the two systems?Sure, it's better doing it the other way (with Win 7 as host)...but any audio editing stuff running in a virtual mode will have latency issues.Note...this is just a suggestion for those who can't bear all the 'kiddie' interface/add-ons of Vista/Win 7/Win 8/Mac.......Many will find that laughable...but so what?We all know when something is not suitable for us so why not try and create something that is better?Linux may be a good alternative...but messing about with Wine to run legacy Windows software just looks too hit and miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.