STR-DG820 to Z623 Subwoofer

Feb 14, 2018
My apologies in advance if this was covered elsewhere and I overlooked it. After reading many, many threads related to this, I am still unable to resolve my problem.
I have a Sony receiver STR-DG820 that works great with an Acoustic Research Center, Left, and Right. But I am unable to get any sound out of the Logitech Z623 subwoofer.
I have tried using an RCA cable going from AV Subwoofer Audio Out to every port on the Subwoofer. Changed every setting possible including setting the speakers to Small instead of Large. Still getting no sound even after testing it in the menu.
The subwoofer works fine with my computer system but I'm on a budget and trying to give my family the theater experience on a VHS budget (bought everything from an old friend before her husband passed away and she has no clue how it was set up).
My best guess is to get an RCA cable from the AV Subwoofer Audio out to a 3.5mm cable to the Logitech subwoofer but would appreciate any other suggestions before I buy the RCA to 3.5mm cable.
Thank you.

Solution
Logitech Z623's really were not made to connect to an AV amp like the STR-DG820 - that's why it works great with your PC output since it's expecting 2-channel output to get 2.1 sound out of it.

Not sure if the sub LFE output will work to the Z623s, and if it did it would be just bass only - but if that's what you're looking for that may work. If you wanted to make the Z623 sats as the surrounds that might work but they may be an odd impedance like 6-ohm or something so it may not work as expected with the ARs, and have to hack it a bit to connect it up directly to the sony, but thats your call - the left one should be easy (just RCA cable to bare wire) but the right you will have to get the pinout of the DB9 connector then rewire...
Logitech Z623's really were not made to connect to an AV amp like the STR-DG820 - that's why it works great with your PC output since it's expecting 2-channel output to get 2.1 sound out of it.

Not sure if the sub LFE output will work to the Z623s, and if it did it would be just bass only - but if that's what you're looking for that may work. If you wanted to make the Z623 sats as the surrounds that might work but they may be an odd impedance like 6-ohm or something so it may not work as expected with the ARs, and have to hack it a bit to connect it up directly to the sony, but thats your call - the left one should be easy (just RCA cable to bare wire) but the right you will have to get the pinout of the DB9 connector then rewire it so you can still adjust the power, volume and bass level for the sub and get the audio channel connected to the amp directly.

Only other way would be to connect the AR center channel and move the sats to the surrounds, then connect one of the line-outs to the Z623's (either the video1 or the SA-CD/CD/CD-R should not matter just needs a 2-channel output) via RCAs. Then you will have to adjust the volume for both the STR-DG820 and the Z623s to get it right if it works, so you are using the Z623's internal amp to match the STR-DG820's output to the center and surrounds. Not sure if the STR-DG820 will work this way (without the mains, which will be handled by the Z623s via line-out and internal amp) but might work.

Otherwise may have to just bite the bullet and just dedicate the Z623s to the PC (what it was made for) and eventually get component surrounds and sub for the AV amp.

Solution
Feb 14, 2018
Thank you for the detailed explanation. I had to look up some of those words but I've learned more about audio systems thanks to your reply! I'll be on the lookout for the right subwoofer to use with the receiver.

Glad to help, the Polk PSW-10 looks like it's on sale again, it's a great deal under $100

If you need surrounds, these Pyle PCB3BKs would be sufficient (since the surround channels are not very prominent as the mains are) and small enough to be just about hidden in any typical living room setup. Pretty easy on the wallet too at $21 a pair to get you 5.1, and just double that to get full 7.1!