Strange low pitched sound from headset

Jacksonflats

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
When I play Battlefield 3, my new headset
http://
produces a constant low pitched whine that changes when I look at different surfaces. This sound is very annoying and I do not encounter it anywhere else. What should I do?

edit: When I mute the headset, I still hear this sound?

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
How low?
SGH-6000-KK5R1
Headphones
Channel: True 5.1 surround sound
Driver: F/R/C: 30mm Sub: 40mm
Impedance: F/R/C: 32 Ohms Sub: 16 Ohms
Transducer principle: Dynamic closed
Ear coupling: Circumaural
Ear cushions: Detachable micro fiber
Sensitivity: >105dB
Frequency Response: 10Hz – 20,000Hz
Distortion: Less than 1%

These headphones claim a response down to 10Hz which you would never hear but could possibly "feel". And then I would assume that would only be during say.... an explosion in BF3 or collision of some sort. Maybe you want to try a discreet sound card?

RaDiKaL_

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
I had that same problem too, it's EMI related to your GPU usage (the more work your gpu does, the higher the pitch will be), could be as simple as cleaning out the dust from your case, or your gpu improperly seated thus making ground with your M/B or Case.

Try reseating it after cleaning out dust on your case and the buzz should go away.

Jacksonflats

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
Yeah, I have a mini-tower with a Nividia 760 in there so it's an extremely tight fit. I also tried attaching the headset to the USB splitter on my desk and it lowered the sound significantly. Could this be cable interference?

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Same difference...

EMI needs an antenna for you to experience it. It could be a cable or un-shielded component(s) picking it up. The further you get from the EMI, the better... if you can't reduce it. I am guessing your USB splitter is externally powered? So you may have some extra filtering between you and the source now also.