Strangest Thing Ever is Happening With My Laptop....

alannm37

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
Hello Everyone,

So I have my laptop doing some updates and they seemed to be going very slow, so I took out my charger to go sit on my bed and I see that the updates suddenly go 6 times faster. So I let the updates finish and went to do a Speedtest. Without the charger plugged in, I get my full speed, 300KB/s.... Then I went to plug back in my charger and to my surprise, 50KB/s?! I repeated this numerous times, tried with ethernet and same result, restarted numerous times, done all updates, installed all additional drivers (I'm on Linux, that's surely not the cause) so I don't know what else I can do?... With charger plugged in, 50KB/s.... without charger plugged in, 300KB/s.... Please someone shed some light on this for me, thank you!

(I know I have poo internet, I live in the countryside!)

(My Laptop is a HP Pavilion G6-1232sl)

Alan.

alannm37

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013

I already tested with ethernet and the same thing occured. I don't have any other charger to test with no :/

makkem

Distinguished
Hi
Now that's an unusual problem.
Can you try removing the battery and running the laptop from the charger and see what happens.
Does your laptop run everything just as fast with the charger plugged in as on battery.

alannm37

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by testing internet performance.... It does it when the battery is fully charged and when the battery is charging....

alannm37

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013

It's definitely unusual. I just tried removing the battery and the same thing is happening and yes the laptop runs everything on battery just as good as plugged in. I am lost with this one.... No idea what it could be.

alannm37

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013

Since you said this, I went and tried a different wall socket in the house (Don't know why I didn't think of that all the time) and it seems to be working fine, my guess is that it's just the one wall socket that must be in some way linked to the internet and causing the download the decrease. All is sorted now anyway, won't be using the other wall socket anymore!

makkem

Distinguished

Likely RF Interference being picked up by the wiring to that socket,is anything else sharing the wiring to that socket or could be close to the wiring most notably fridge,freezer or air con.
If so could be a sign that the suppressor circuit for that appliance has failed.
The charger should really filter interference out before it reaches the laptop but some are better than others in this regard though it could be a sign of a capacitor starting to fail.