Strap-On Wheels Move Wearer at 10mph

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Nice concept but as with many many things until we see the next generation of batteries a concept is where it will remain.[/citation]
You hit the nail on the head with that one. Currently, the biggest challenged faced by all of the designers of next-gen technology is the lack of innovation in battery technology.

If you think about the timeline of technological development from 1980 till now, a nice round 30 years, you can see how most areas of technology, particularly the semi-conductor industry, have progressed at a geometric or even exponential growth curve. Battery technology, on the other hand, is more like a linear progression.

Unfortunately, energy production is pretty much in the same boat. We might be able to overlook the deficiencies in battery technology if we had small, portable Mr. Fusion units. Conversely, we might be able to overlook our energy production issues if we had powercells similar to those that run the Cyberdyne Systems model 101.

Lacking both is a huge problem, and a serious impediment to the development of future tech. We can't continue base our energy production on fossil fuels in perpetuity; and we can't development practical strap-on skates (the goal of which, I assume is a reduction in automobile traffic), if you have to strap a car battery on your back to travel 50 feet.

rsud

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
[citation][nom]loomis86[/nom]Really? Have you ever gone jogging? That's ten miles per hour. I can stop in less than a second.[/citation]

Thats with you leaning back and flexing your ankles to reduce your upper body momentum. When standing upright on wheels the original poster makes a correct point.

theLaminator

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Saw this in an article yesterday too, but if it is electric powered it is a motor. If it is powered by gas, diesel, natural gas etc... its an engine.

G

"10mph is fast walking..omg please, i jog at around 14mph..."

No way are you running at 14 mph. I doubt you could hit 10 mph.

hijack

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
[citation][nom]chickenhoagie[/nom]10mph is fast walking..omg please, i jog at around 14mph. useless technology that will just make everyone more lazy than we already are.[/citation]

Avg walking speed is 3mph. Avg jogging is 6mph. Unless you're Usain Bolt, you're not jogging at 14mph

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]hijack[/nom]Avg walking speed is 3mph. Avg jogging is 6mph. Unless you're Usain Bolt, you're not jogging at 14mph[/citation]
source please? world record running speed caps at around 27m by usain bolt. highschool sprint speed averages at 20mph. 5mph less of that would be considered fast jogging, 5 mph even moreso would be slowww jogging. if you jog at 5mph you must be really out of shape, or running a 500k.

G

I walk at 20mph, on my yacht, next to my supermodel girlfriend and her curious twin sister. Source? Me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS