Streaming games on your TV - Raspberry Pi or Smart TV?

Nezgal

Estimable
Nov 26, 2015
Hello! Not sure I'm posting on the right forum, but I couldn't think of a proper one.

So I'm planning on buying a TV screen and I want to be able to stream games from my PC on it. I read about the app Moonlight that can be used to stream to a Raspberry Pi, iOS or Android device. So I thought about getting the new Raspberry Pi 3 and connect it to the TV. But it seems that all TVs now come with an integrated Smart TV, so I was wondering if it was possible to use Moonlight (or something else) to turn the TV into a Steam machine, depending on the OS.
Will it work on LG's WebOS, which is Linux-based? Will it work on a TV using Android? And is it possible to jailbreak a TV and get Cyanogen for Android?

Thanks!

Solution
Is there Steam client for WebOS? Or for Android? Does this client support your (future) TV? If you experiment with "jailbreaking" and "flashing", you risk having an expensive picture frame on your wall which you can stare at.

The "Streaming" of games is not something which works with each and every TV or media player on the earth. It is up to the game to decide whether and how this works.

For Steam games - they do make boxes just for that. Get a TV you like for picture and connectivity, not for smartness, and connect a proper box to it.
Is there Steam client for WebOS? Or for Android? Does this client support your (future) TV? If you experiment with "jailbreaking" and "flashing", you risk having an expensive picture frame on your wall which you can stare at.

The "Streaming" of games is not something which works with each and every TV or media player on the earth. It is up to the game to decide whether and how this works.

For Steam games - they do make boxes just for that. Get a TV you like for picture and connectivity, not for smartness, and connect a proper box to it.

Solution