Streaming music to devices

Apr 23, 2018
I would like options to stream music from a laptop connected to a tv surround sound receiver. I would like to stream to an outside deck.

Solution
Do you already have speakers on the deck? Are they connected to the same receiver as the laptop?
Then you only need to control the laptop playback software with your phone. You can do that with most of them with the right app.
If don't have anything on the deck then it depends on how much area you need to cover, how loud you want to play, and how much money you want to spend.
You could just connect a BT transmitter to the laptop headphone out and use any BT speaker.
You could use a Sonos or Denon Heos speaker on the deck. Denon has a battery pack for their smallest speaker so it would not have to be plugged in.
You could use a Sonos ConnectAmp or HeosAmp with any pair of passive speakers.
If you needed more sound you could use a Sonos...
Apr 23, 2018

Hi, I guess I am looking for both. I have a large amount of music stored in flac on a hard drive connected to a laptop which is connected to a tv sound system (HDMI). I would like to be able to listen outside. Ideally, I would like to control it with one of my android devices. Wifi would be ideal

Do you already have speakers on the deck? Are they connected to the same receiver as the laptop?
Then you only need to control the laptop playback software with your phone. You can do that with most of them with the right app.
If don't have anything on the deck then it depends on how much area you need to cover, how loud you want to play, and how much money you want to spend.
You could just connect a BT transmitter to the laptop headphone out and use any BT speaker.
You could use a Sonos or Denon Heos speaker on the deck. Denon has a battery pack for their smallest speaker so it would not have to be plugged in.
You could use a Sonos ConnectAmp or HeosAmp with any pair of passive speakers.
If you needed more sound you could use a Sonos Connect or HeosLink with an amp and any number of speakers.

Solution

You can do fancy stuff like installing Kodi on your laptop as a music player, and controlling it remotely with your smart phone.
Another option - if you have eagle-sharp eyes, and can see your laptop from your deck, a wireless mini mouse/keyboard will do as well.