Streamlined Wii Announced for UK This Holiday Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Unless your old Wii is beat up, there's little point in buying a new one now, let alone in 4-5 months during the holiday season.

The only way I can see new Wii's selling much at all is if they're priced dirt cheap.

lassik

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Useless. Who'd want this? If you're so much into console gaming, get a PS3 or Xbox...[/citation]
A lot of people might want it actually, the Wii has outsold the PS3 and 360 by over 50% each...

bombat1994

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
i think this is smart move by nintendo, sell a cheap "streamlined "wii for cost price, then reduce games by half price and make profit until wii u comes out

RabidFace

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
...slightly altered configuration that will allow it to sit horizontally instead of vertically.

Oh thank god! All this time I thought you could never take if off the stand and lay it flat. Thank you Nintendo. ;)

halls

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
Wow, no Gamecube games/controller support? We used Gamecube controllers for four years straight because the only game we consistently played on it was Smash Brothers Brawl. Even if we jumped into Mario Kart we were still using them. Hell, half of the enjoyment we got out of the Wii was playing GC games on it again.

G

the most fun I have had with my wii is the Game Cube games that it plays... not many fun titles for the Wii

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
[citation][nom]lassik[/nom]A lot of people might want it actually, the Wii has outsold the PS3 and 360 by over 50% each...[/citation]...And how many of those Wiis were purchased for the "wow" factor and/or to use Wii fit? Then the unit sits unused because after the novelty wears off and you discover how much better Xbox or PS3 is ...or the motivation to exercise fades (as it normally does) and the "exercise machine" goes the way of the basement treadmill clothes hanger.

I think there are a lot of Wiis in peoples' houses that are not going to be used again, much less replaced. My family has been offered 2 free Wiis in the past year and we have declined.

cognoscentiable

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]Will it come with tea and bad dental care?[/citation]

However did you think that one up? Can you think of any other groundless and out dated stereotypes? In the hope of a thumbs up from the average skim reading ignoramus.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]cognoscentiable[/nom]However did you think that one up? Can you think of any other groundless and out dated stereotypes? In the hope of a thumbs up from the average skim reading ignoramus.[/citation]
Sorry, just finished reading the Wikipedia article, and couldn't help myself...
Better than a CD drive as a coaster...

sunflier

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
For me, I play on my PC gaming rig. For the rest of the family we have Xbox360 (3.5yrds now). Family loves it. Then kiddos want to experience ("WOW" factor) the Wii (begged me for it). Bought for Christmas 2yrs ago and played it maybe one month. By the end of January 2010 it was forgotten. I almost sold the dang thing but instead I now use it for streaming Netflix in our bedroom. I honestly would prefer a 2nd Xbox360 in the bedroom though.

As for the Xbox 360, going strong! Everyone loves playing games on it and of course stream Netflix in the living room too.

tbq

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
So Nintendo is copying Sony by removing features and calling it an upgrade? I'll pass. If my Wii dies I will not be replacing it with one that cannot play CG games, since I have several that I still like to play.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Useless. Who'd want this? If you're so much into console gaming, get a PS3 or Xbox...[/citation]
I want a wii....

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]joebobsrevenge[/nom]the most fun I have had with my wii is the Game Cube games that it plays... not many fun titles for the Wii[/citation]

This, this right here... ^^^

The Wii us neat, but their controllers are not ideal for every type of game. The CG support was a necessary thing to avoid leaving a gaping hole in functionality, a gaping hole that will now be remarkably evident...

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]soo-nah-mee[/nom]...And how many of those Wiis were purchased for the "wow" factor and/or to use Wii fit? Then the unit sits unused because after the novelty wears off and you discover how much better Xbox or PS3 is ...or the motivation to exercise fades (as it normally does) and the "exercise machine" goes the way of the basement treadmill clothes hanger.I think there are a lot of Wiis in peoples' houses that are not going to be used again, much less replaced. My family has been offered 2 free Wiis in the past year and we have declined.[/citation]You're arguing for the gaming prowess of the Xbox and PS3 on a tech website mostly used by PC gamers? I don't think you'll find many here that think an Xbox or PS3 is a definition of a high quality gaming experience. Bad graphics and lack of precision with controls--that's console for you. So unless you're talking Wii or Kinect for novelty motion controls you can't get on a PC--what's the point in a console?

Status
Not open for further replies.