Sabre_X

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
Hi all! I'm replacing my broken Samsung NP350-V5C. It had an i5 3rd Gen CPU, I'd upgraded the RAM to 8GB, and I'd replaced the ODD with a 250GB SSD. It never was the same after replacing the ODD with an SSD and began a slow and painful decline.

I'd appreciate any tips or advice on picking a new machine, and whether you know of any great machines out there that I've missed. Thank you so much! I really appreciate it.

I've been looking at:

Medion Akoya E6417 £429
Toshiba L50 £490
Lenovo Yoga 3 £650
Lenovo Yoga 500 £600

I've generally been looking at the i5-5200U CPU, and also for 8GB RAM. I've no requirement for an OS as I'll be fresh installing from my own disc anyway. After a bit of research online, I don't think I'd find much use for a touch-screen. On a slight tangent, I'd also quite like a decent WiFi chip, and the internet seems to suggest that if buying a new laptop, I should be looking for the AC chips rather than the older BGN type.

I'm writing this on my friend's Macbook Pro Retina 15" and it's a delight to use, though I can't afford such luxury myself.

1. What is your budget?
I'm looking for something between £400 and £600 ideally.
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Preferably between 14"-16".
3. What screen resolution do you want?
Full HD or higher would be great.
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
I'd like it to be reasonably portable, but doesn't have to be anything like a Macbook Air or such. I'd like it to be lighter/thinner than my previous Samsung NP350-V5C.
5. How much battery life do you need?
Never far away from a plug, so not that important, but it's nice to be able to chill with it on the sofa for a few hours without it dying.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I won't be using this machine for gaming.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Apart from just a lot of browsing on Chrome, a little bit of editing on Lightroom and working on Office.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
I've got a spare 250GB Samsung SSD that I could put in it. Also, I figure that movies and the likes can just be kept on USB Externally, so just enough to have Windows, Office, Adobe etc.
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Anywhere in the UK- Amazon, Scan, eBuyer, Aria, Currys, etc.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Last me a good few years. I like to replace every 2 or 3 years.
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
No requirement for an optical drive.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I've been told to generally avoid HP or Acer. I was previously looking at Asus or Lenovo, though there seem to be some decent Toshiba ones.
13. What country do you live in?
UK

Out of the list this is the best:http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-yoga-500-15-6-2-in-1-black-10126494-pdt.html?awc=1599_1443036576_9fce9598a7c8970a1ecaabb888d95b4f&srcid=369&xtor=AL-1&cmpid=aff~Skimlinks~Sub%20Networks&istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=qqpxmxaq&istBid=t