Hi, I am using a dell xps laptop and I am having issues getting it to boot correctly. I have tried to start it in safe mode and from the last working condition with no luck. No matter how I start it it takes me to the login screen but I have the background and a cursor. There is nothing to click on and it just sits like this.
Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- Start by doing a hard reboot, remove the battery and unplug the AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds then try booting it up again.
- If it doesn't work, press CTRL+ATL+DEL then select Task Manager then click on New Task, type in explorer.exe and click OK then see if it will load your desktop screen back.
- If it will not work, open Task Manager again then click on Startup tab then disable all the startup items and reboot your laptop.
- Next to try if it will still not work is to load the laptop into Safe Mode, while the laptop is booting up repeatedly press on F8 until it loads Advanced Boot Options then select Safe Mode.
- Once loaded in Safe Mode run System Restore, put it back to an earlier date when the laptop was working properly.
- Here's how: http/windows.microsoft.com/en-PH/windows-8/restore-re...
- If all these will not work you'll need to reinstall Windows as the last option.
i have tried all of these solutions to try and fix my problem with no luck I cannot pull up task manager from the screen I am stuck at and when I use safe mode I get stuck at the same screen in that mode as well. How would I go about resetting Windows or wiping the computer from the boot screen I do not have much information on the laptop and am ok with losing what I do not have backed up to get it up and running again.