Student Laptop/ University

May 23, 2018
1. What is your budget? Around 800CAD

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? Anything except under than 12inches

3. What screen resolution do you want? Nothing special, 1080p (pretty standard these days)

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Portable

5. How much battery life do you need? More is better, not gonna be next to an outlet all the time

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
If so, just Low settings

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Mostly just projects and somewhat

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
256GB in up most likely

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Any reputable site, (Ex: Newegg, Dell)

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
At least 3 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
None

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Rather buy something from a reputable brand, not just some cheap off brand stuff since its obviously not as reliable

13. What country do you live in?
Canada

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
It would be mostly for studying and doing projects while on the go. Would like bluetooth incorporated so i can connect my headphones but not the end of the world if its not.

Solution
I think more appropriate questions to help make your decision would be as follows. What OS on the laptop (Windows, Mac, or ChromeOS)? Does the university help desk support all three? Will there be any special software for class that you will need to purchase and install? Is that software Windows or MacOS compatible? Most colleges will offer the students Office365 which is great because it can be used on any of the 3 computers.

My daughter took a chromebook to college and loved it. Then she took a programming class and needed Microsoft Visual Studio for a project. Then another Professor would only except MS Excel documents and Google Sheets did have the functionality she needed for class and she hadn't purchased Office365.

My...

tmoseley@mtsd

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
I think more appropriate questions to help make your decision would be as follows. What OS on the laptop (Windows, Mac, or ChromeOS)? Does the university help desk support all three? Will there be any special software for class that you will need to purchase and install? Is that software Windows or MacOS compatible? Most colleges will offer the students Office365 which is great because it can be used on any of the 3 computers.

My daughter took a chromebook to college and loved it. Then she took a programming class and needed Microsoft Visual Studio for a project. Then another Professor would only except MS Excel documents and Google Sheets did have the functionality she needed for class and she hadn't purchased Office365.

My recommendation is usually Chromebook because all your data is in the cloud, battery life is excellent, they are affordable, fast startup, light, and easy to use. However, if you like to game or your degree path will require you to have something more then a Windows based system or Mac is your way to go. Many colleges have models they recommend or brands they are partnered with for deals. So check your university.

Solution