Student looking for active stylus tablet

Kiseleon

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
I'm a university student looking for an active stylus tablet for use in note-taking and working on homework when away from home. I have a desktop at home, so it doesn't need to be an i7 or anything like that - it just needs to be capable and last me through my remaining years of college.

1. Is This Your First Time Buying A Tablet?
No, I purchased the Nexus 7 (2012) 8GB back when it was launched.

2. Do you already have an operating system in mind?
I would really like Windows 8.1, I loved using OneNote on my netbook back when I had one.

3. What screen size do you have in mind? And your preferred resolution (not required but helps)?
I would like 8" or larger, I'd be okay with 720p for 8", but any larger I would require at least 1080p.

4. Preferred Brand(s) - (ex. Microsoft, Samsung, Asus, Apple)
Microsoft, Asus

5. Brands Not Preferred (specify why) (ex. Hannspree, Acer, etc.)
None, I just want a quality product

6. How much do you want to spend on your tablet?
Preferably less than $400 (before accessories - $500-ish with accessories)

7. Do you have cellular service? Or do you want the tablet to be WiFi only?
Wifi only - I can tether with my phone if absolutely necessary, but assume I will be using internet only at school or home.

[strike]8. If you do have cellular service, who is your provider and how much data are you allowed per month?[/strike]
N/A

9. Do you want the tablet to be a full laptop replacement?
Kind of. I have a desktop for gaming and programming, so I don't need the tablet to be an absolute powerhouse, just enough for use on homework when away from home, and for media consumption at home (Reddit, .MKVs, Netflix).

10. What existing apps do you use? What do you intend to do with this tablet?
I've never used Windows 8 before (I use windows 7 on my desktop), but I would like to use OneNote and Fresh Paint, as well as the rest of the Office suite. I want to take notes, work on homework, watch videos, browse Reddit, and maybe practice drawing/painting.

I have an Android smartphone, a capable Windows 7 desktop, and a 2012 Nexus 7 (8GB) [By the way, 8GB is not enough memory for ANYTHING]. I also have a hand-me-down laptop from my parents, but it barely sees any use, so I may sell it (via craigslist) to help pay for the tablet.

I won't have the money to buy the tablet for another month or so; still, I thought it would be a good idea to start researching now. I'm currently leaning towards the Asus Vivotab Note 8 (which will hopefully release in March?).

Any thoughts or additional questions would be appreciated. Thank you!

g-unit1111

Distinguished
Probably one of the new Windows 8 Bay Trail tablets would suit your needs. There's a few models available:

- Dell Venue 8 Pro: http://www.dell.com/us/p/dell-venue-8-pro/pd?oc=fncwv8p01h&model_id=dell-venue-8-pro
- Lenovo IdeaTab MIIX: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/tablets/ideatab/miix-series/miix-2/
- Toshiba Encore 8: http://www.toshiba.com/us/tablets/encore/8

I have the Dell version and it's a great tablet. Can run quite a few things that my laptop and desktop can run like iTunes, Autodesk DWG Viewer, Adobe Acrobat Reader, Flash, etc etc.

billybug

Estimable
Nov 25, 2014
Regarding the Stylus...you might want to check out an electronic active stylus to get fine line and good note taking or sketching results.

Check out the Dart by precision Touch. 2 mm fine tip and works on most devices.

www,precisiontouch.com

It works really well and gets very fine lines and takes great handwriting notes.

zedii

Estimable
Mar 2, 2015
If you only need it for note taking, and the added bonus of full win 8.1 is appealing, and you are on a budget, and you need decent battery life, then this little guy will well by you.