Study: Average Gamer is Overweight, Depressed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

-unknown-

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]cracklint[/nom]Most likely the test group was already depressed and use video games as an escape. The study should have been, "Are video games a healthy outlet for people with depression."[/citation]
That is by far the most sensible thought I have heard in a very long time (in relation to the effect of video games).

thundercleese

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I do not fit into the obove description and I am an avid gamer... Though I've never played WoW, nor do I ever want 2. However, I do have some one in my close family who fits this description perfectly except he's 18. And guess what? It is obvious to every one that he wouldn't be this way if his parents had parented him properly instead of just leaving him in front of the SNES since he was 4-years-old and bending over to please his every demand. I have a 5-year-old dauhgter who loves playing her DS, PSP and PS3 with me and as much as I enjoy seeing her have fun we always set limits to her video game time to make sure she doesn't end up like the above statistics.

SSBrando

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
A study in Seattle? There are more depressed people living there than anywhere else in the US! Heck, what they should have done is see how many people are depressed, and then see out of those people if they play games.

hammond

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
I play WoW at least 3 times a week and I am happily married with a kid and we are all in good shape. You just have to play in moderation and get exercise regularly. Diet is also the key factor. I think the overweight and depressed part is less game related than this report says it is.

v1ze

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]American gamer? No, Seattle-area gamer. The Pacific Northwest gets fifty inches of fog per year, nevermind the rain.[/citation]
We just tell everyone it rains here all the time so you don't move here. We average ~35 inches per year, not even close to the top 10. Now if we're talking overcast that's a different story! Which is my point. Of course people in Seattle spend more time indoors!

mr_tuel

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
Glad I'm not the "Average American"! I'm nearly underweight, happy, 23 years old...I could go on about "average Americans" but I usually don't fit that description--except for being American.

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
Overweight and depressed? Good, it means that gamers are just like everybody else, overweight and depressed.

And why should taxpayers fund this useless research? Why it smells like that bureaucrats in CDC want to prove that video games are bad for your health?

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Oh, I play games on most days; often for hours on weekends. I'm 49, in the "green" zone on the BMI chart, and happily married to a wife who accepts my hobbies just as I accept and support hers. We also get out on our Catrikes at least once a week (trying for at least twice; they're fun).

Boxa786

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Alot has changed since 2006, like I see alot more female online gamers, alot more younger gamers. Many more people who would normally play a game once or twice a month, gaming all night instead, so them figures arent realistic, not to mention this just reiterates USA's popular obesity!

ryanjm

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
You could substitute "Average Gamer" for "Average American living in Seattle." I'm guessing they were fatter and more depressed than the average person in that city, but it's certainly not clear from the content of this article.

G

Well, the findings are clear. Video games in Seattle for high on life anorexics.
Problem solved! ;-)

greliu

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
This study seems like it was a waste of time.... besides, 60% of the U.S. population is overweight lol.

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
this article is a sham...i am 35, hardcore gamer, very happy (well a little depressed with the economy and being unemployed) but over all i am a very happy person, and i am in ideal physical condition.

I do love how an average was taken of 552 gamers in one locale... then announced as an average of all americans in general. As such, announcements that you do not fit the average as stated are a bit pointless as the average itself is not accurate.

552 out of 307,162,899 (2009) isn't enough. Perhaps question 10,000-30,000 in suburbs, towns, and major cities.. then we will see.

Burodsx

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
I would like a study to show that the average blogger has nothing useful to write about. How about them apples?

Status
Not open for further replies.